Reverse Diet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Diet

Hey my primal mates! Question about reverse dieting here. I've been on a deficit at 1800-1900cal for a long time. I've dropped from 195lbs down to 158 around 8% bf. I'm going to add 125~175 cals a week until I get to 2750-2800 cal. Should I just add in carbs (healthy of course) for the additional cals, never exceeding 150 carbs on off days and 200 on workout days?

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky

You shouldn't really need to count calories. In fact, people don't generally on low-carb diets -- they just count carbs, and simply "eat to satiety".

If you're back to your normal weight, your metabolism is not broken, and your diet is a balanced one, then eating to satiety should definitely work. If you think about it, how do wild animals get along? They don't carry calorie-counting booklets around with them and add up everything. This is something that should simply self-regulate -- you've got biological mechanisms that should ensure that, that should tell you when you're hungry and when you've had enough to eat.

I'm not going to tell somebody else what to eat. This is a personal decision, and besides depends on your needs. What I will say is that I wouldn't myself eat over 150 grammes of carbohydrate a day. See Mark's Carbohydrate Curve:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

If you have been a lot heavier in the recent past it's probably rather more unwise for you to eat carbohydrate to excess than it would be for the average person Mark is commenting on there as risking "Steady, Insidious Weight Gain". But, again, it's your choice to do as you wish.

How much you might need to eat depends on what the activity you mention consists in. If its some kind of aerobic activity, then you really need very little, and people seem to get the best results when eating that way:

Western States 100 – Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek Study | Me and My Diabetes

If it's lifting a few weights -- well, some people are even doing that fasting nowadays.

However, if you're doing some kind of sport with explosive action in it -- football of some sort, or hockey, say -- then it seems that you do need carbohydrate for that, though interestingly not as much as has been thought in the past.

Football Champions on a Low-Carb Diet - DietDoctor.com

Comment

great job so far!!

agree with lewis that what you add will depend on your history and your goals, as well as your age and activity levels.

we also don't know what you typically eat so how can tell what else to add?
      As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Okay thanks guys. I'm trying to transition from a bodybuilding approach gone terribly wrong resulting in massive fat gains. Counting calories is something I've grown accustomed to for losing weight, but I'm trying to phase out of it. I eat eggs,ground turkey, veggies and some almonds or macadamias for my first meal. Then a whey shake with almond milk and almond butter. Snack is either a apple or banana. Dinner is some type of fish salmon, tilapia, or shrimp with veggies and a big ass salad with chicken eggs and veggies. I'm currently intermittent fasting right now. I'm really trying to put on lean mass but I'm scared to get fat! Don't know how to approach this.

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comment

Working...
        X