No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hashi's, Adrenal Fatigue and VLC

Hi all,
    So...I was diagnosed with Hashi's about 4 years ago. My ND says I have early stage adrenal fatigue, my cortisol is way high. I am on a synthetic mix of T3/T4 and a busload of supplements.

I'm still carrying about 30 excess pounds. I have been eating paleo/primal for awhile but after a food senstivity test, I decided to do a Whole 30 this month, to try to start shifting it once and for all. I'm on day 12. I am, at least according to my ketostix in deep ketosis. The first few days I dropped about 9lbs. Which, I know starts out with water weight rather than fat. Then I stalled and the scale has me back up 3-4 lbs. I've been running between 0-20 carbs per day, getting plenty of fat in the form of cocnut oil and avocado. And I have been EXHAUSTED!

I have sucessfully used this sort of diet to drop weight, but that was before I was diagnosed with the metobolic scrambling issues. I had a sweet potato with dinner tonight, and feel a lot better.

I've read that VLC can be bad for adrenal fatigue. Would I be better off keeping my carbs in the 30-50 range? Anyone have any similar experiences?

Thanks!

You're better off keeping your carbs in the 100-150g range and focusing on nutrient-dense foods. Cut back on fats if increasing carbs. White and sweet potatoes, plantains, fruit, carrots, beets, and others tubers and root veggies will complement any whole diet. Liver, oysters, gelatin, eggs, and beef hearts are great for protein and nutrients. The last thing you want to do is stress your body even more. Eat real food carbs, feel better.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

If you went to an ND then what where the recommendations? Depending on what stage of adrenal fatigue you are in he/she obviously set you up on a specific supplement protocol, but they also should have addressed this very question with you.

Here is the thing, there are some very general rules like eat frequently, get plenty of rest, reduce and/or address emotional stresses with meditation of some sort, ect. But the more specific stuff can only be talked about if one knows your panels exact results, has a full history on you, and a complete physical exam. I assume the ND did all this so if they didn't address this aspect then you should definitely get them to.
      Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-14-2015, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Agreed on following up with the ND.
        From my experience dealing with adrenal fatigue, resolving it took priority over losing excess weight - I put on 25lbs or so before I figured out adrenal fatigue was the issue and accepted it was going to stay on until the AF was managed. I did not restrict carbs at all, though I made a point of making protein the focus and majority of what I ate and went easy on fat.
        I posted this link in another thread, but it's useful and sums up pretty much everything I did to make my way through AF: http://empoweredsustenance.com/adren...igue-recovery/
        It took 8-10 months of really managing stress, sleep and diet to get past it but how I feel now makes it worth it and that weight that piled on is coming back off again.

Comment

Originally posted by Neckhammer View Post
          If you went to an ND then what where the recommendations? Depending on what stage of adrenal fatigue you are in he/she obviously set you up on a specific supplement protocol, but they also should have addressed this very question with you.

Here is the thing, there are some very general rules like eat frequently, get plenty of rest, reduce and/or address emotional stresses with meditation of some sort, ect. But the more specific stuff can only be talked about if one knows your panels exact results, has a full history on you, and a complete physical exam. I assume the ND did all this so if they didn't address this aspect then you should definitely get them to.

We've basically talked about the importance of cutting out gluten, avoiding dairy for awhile after I got my sensitivity test results back. I'm taking 10mg of DHEA at night to help lower my cortisol (also makes me sleep like a rock, yay!), but there has not been any discussion of what a good carb balance is to protect my adrenals and help me lose weight.

Comment

Working...
          X