No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Grains Protein Powder

Hi all,

I know that grains are (obviously) off limits and I try to avoid them as much as I possibly can, but I just have a question about protein powder derived from grains (specifically one made from quinoa, millet, amaranth, and brown rice). Are the harmful effects of anti-nutrients, lectin, phytates and gluten still as prevalent in this protein powder form? Or are they even more prevalent? I guess I'm wondering just how harmful grains are in this form.

Thank you!

What's your goal with taking the protein powder?
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Someone bought it for me to use in smoothies, not knowing that I am mostly Paleo, and I feel quite bad not using it. I guess the only reason for me taking it would be to please this person (bad reason, I know)

Comment

give it away.
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

feed it to chickens.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

Hahaha I kind of thought that might be the response I'm not thrilled about the thought of putting it in my body!

Comment

Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
              feed it to chickens.
              pigeons = city chickens?
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Pigeon egg omlette?

Comment

I would eat it, since it's mostly protein powder, but that's just me. *Shrug* Is it as good as whole food protein sources or even whey protein? Nope. Is it PALEO? Nope. Is it bad? Not really.

Also, I don't think any of those grains mentioned have gluten in them. They're all considered gluten-free grains (and quinoa is technically "not" a grain). List of Gluten-Free starches: The Gluten-Free Diet | NFCA

If you're worried about lectins/phylates you should probably worry more about all of the nuts/nut butter you consume than gluten-free grains. PLUS, ancient grains protein powder is made from SPROUTED GRAINS, so there's even less worry about those anti-nutrients, etc.

Looks pretty clean to me. http://www.nutritionhouse.com/organi...l#.VLrIzivF81Y

"Contains NO soy, dairy, eggs, gluten, flavours, colours, preservatives, sweeteners, GMO ingredients, fillers." (and is organic)
                  Last edited by TQP; 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM.
                  JOURNAL..
                  @BabesWithBBQ.
                  Gelatin/bone broth recipes blog.
                  Professional Style Website.
                  #TeamBrisket Shirts

Comment

Thank you! Yes, I do also worry about nuts/nut butters...it's hard because I love them so much

Comment

Working...
                    X