• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpiderRider
    started a topic Ancient Grains Protein Powder

Ancient Grains Protein Powder

Hi all,

I know that grains are (obviously) off limits and I try to avoid them as much as I possibly can, but I just have a question about protein powder derived from grains (specifically one made from quinoa, millet, amaranth, and brown rice). Are the harmful effects of anti-nutrients, lectin, phytates and gluten still as prevalent in this protein powder form? Or are they even more prevalent? I guess I'm wondering just how harmful grains are in this form.

Thank you!

• SpiderRider
    replied
    Thank you! Yes, I do also worry about nuts/nut butters...it's hard because I love them so much

Leave a comment:

• TQP
    replied
    I would eat it, since it's mostly protein powder, but that's just me. *Shrug* Is it as good as whole food protein sources or even whey protein? Nope. Is it PALEO? Nope. Is it bad? Not really.

Also, I don't think any of those grains mentioned have gluten in them. They're all considered gluten-free grains (and quinoa is technically "not" a grain). List of Gluten-Free starches: The Gluten-Free Diet | NFCA

If you're worried about lectins/phylates you should probably worry more about all of the nuts/nut butter you consume than gluten-free grains. PLUS, ancient grains protein powder is made from SPROUTED GRAINS, so there's even less worry about those anti-nutrients, etc.

Looks pretty clean to me. http://www.nutritionhouse.com/organi...l#.VLrIzivF81Y

"Contains NO soy, dairy, eggs, gluten, flavours, colours, preservatives, sweeteners, GMO ingredients, fillers." (and is organic)
    Last edited by TQP; 01-17-2015, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fifer
    replied
    Pigeon egg omlette?

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    Originally posted by RichMahogany View Post
    feed it to chickens.
    pigeons = city chickens?

Leave a comment:

• SpiderRider
    replied
    Hahaha I kind of thought that might be the response I'm not thrilled about the thought of putting it in my body!

Leave a comment:

• RichMahogany
    replied
    feed it to chickens.

Leave a comment:

• noodletoy
    replied
    give it away.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderRider
    replied
    Someone bought it for me to use in smoothies, not knowing that I am mostly Paleo, and I feel quite bad not using it. I guess the only reason for me taking it would be to please this person (bad reason, I know)

Leave a comment:

• RichMahogany
    replied
    What's your goal with taking the protein powder?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X