Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good quality vitamin D supplement

What should I pay attention to when I buy vitamin D supplements? What should not appear in the "other ingredients" list?

This doesn't answer your question, but it's what I would look FOR:

Should be D3, not D2 [ I don't know if they even still sell D2, but just in case]

Many will say it should be in a jelcap, since fat needs to be present for it to be absorbed. But, many times the oils in the caps are soybean oil so pick your poison. If you get the pill form just make sure to take it with some oil [ fatty meal, fish oil caps, or salad with a real oil dressing].

I take the Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil that has A and D. I don't remember the ratios, but you shouldn't take so much D you're out of balance with vitamin A[ and real vitamin A, not beta carotene]. The Weston A Price foundation has some good articles.

Hope some of that helps.

Comment

And pair the Vitamin D with Vitamin K2.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by coolrain View Post
        What should I pay attention to when I buy vitamin D supplements?
        The strength. A fairly common suggestion is 4000 IU in winter, 2000 IU in spring and fall and nothing at all in summer - get outside around midday instead.

That said some people may have problems making D (or rather its precursor) from sunlight and may have to take 5000 IU or more all year round.

The answer here is to test and see how you're doing. Do a web search on something like:

https://www.google.com/search?client...gAQ&gws_rd=ssl

What should not appear in the "other ingredients" list?
        Anything that doesn't need to be there, I guess. Someone said bad oils - yes, that would put me off.

Brands like Life Extension and Drs Best seem fine to me - many others around.

I have heard that the ones that come as an emulsion in a dropper bottle are the best absorbed:

Amazon.com: Vitamin D3 (Liquid Emulsion), 2,000 IU, 1 fl. oz. (29.57 ml): Health & Personal Care

I don't know for sure whether that's true. That way seems a bit fiddly to me, and perhaps exactly what form you use wouldn't matter unless you tested very low and wanted to get up to high levels pretty quickly. I use the softgels myself. I wouldn't take the chewable tablets.

Sure, you could take a teaspoon or so a day of the cod-liver oil instead, which as someone said supplies A and K2 as well. Or you could just include some foods that are rich in A and K2. Loads of A in liver, and it's great fried or casseroled with onions and bacon.

Or you could mix and match - take, say, half a teaspoon of the CLO but back it up with some D3 capsules only rather fewer than you would if you were taking them on their own.

Comment

I use a D3 and K2 capsule that's suspended in coconut oil. It is, however, expensive. I'll check the brand... CanPrev. I take 3 a day when I remember, lol. XD
          Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

This: NOW Foods Liquid Vitamin D-3 Extra Strength 1,000 IU 1 fl oz Liquid - Swanson Health Products

Ingredients: D3 and MCT oil.

Bonus: Can hold under the tongue for a bit for some sublingual absorption.
            "The cling and a clang is the metal in my head when I walk. I hear a sort of, this tinging noise - cling clang. The cling clang. So many things happen while walking. The metal in my head clangs and clings as I walk - freaks my balance out. So the natural thought is just clogged up. Totally clogged up. So we need to unplug these dams, and make the the natural flow... It sort of freaks me out. We need to unplug the dams. You cannot stop the natural flow of thought with a cling and a clang..."

Comment

Many thanks to all for giving me so much useful information. Now I am armed to shop a good V-D supplement.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Nutrigold-Vita...sin=B004N8TTBQ

Comment

Jarrow carries gel caps which contain olive oil for absorption. Decently affordable as well.

Comment

The fact that vitamin D isn't really a vitamin, but rather a hormone, bothers me when we discuss supplementation. I've supplemented, too, and I've seen "favorable" results in my labs. But, is that an accurate picture of what's going on? I seen numerous stories of people improving their labs while retaining the symptoms of their original deficiency. I quit supplementing, perhaps to my own detriment. I'm just trying to keep my cholesterol elevated and grabbing every beam of sunlight available in this winter's sky, until I figure it out.
                    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Science behind vitamin D (MPKB)

M.

Comment

Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
                        This is excellent. Thank you.
                        Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                        Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

vitamin D is important for building and keeping strong bones. Vitamin D3 is more popular among vitamin d products.

Comment

Nice thread. I've been searching for good quality Vitamin D supps for a long time, this looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                              The fact that vitamin D isn't really a vitamin, but rather a hormone, bothers me when we discuss supplementation. I've supplemented, too, and I've seen "favorable" results in my labs. But, is that an accurate picture of what's going on? I seen numerous stories of people improving their labs while retaining the symptoms of their original deficiency. I quit supplementing, perhaps to my own detriment. I'm just trying to keep my cholesterol elevated and grabbing every beam of sunlight available in this winter's sky, until I figure it out.
                              Hi, John. You may want to reconsider not supping with D3. In the 7 years I've been doing D3, my serum levels were high - 74 whatsis per whatever - back when I was taking only 2,000 IU's a day. Since then it has been slowing declining, about 50 a year and a half ago while I have upped to 10,000 IU's/day for several years now. Whether the body is less efficient with age, or it is increasing efficient in cleaning out excessive D3, I don't know.

And then there's the D, A, K2, calcium balancing act.

Comment

Working...
                              X