X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolrain
    started a topic good quality vitamin D supplement

good quality vitamin D supplement

What should I pay attention to when I buy vitamin D supplements? What should not appear in the "other ingredients" list?

• Michael S
    replied
    Last year my blood work showed an elevated liver enzyme. Doctor said this particular condition is often related to D3 deficiency. Ran more tests and sure enough, the results came back D deficient. I was utterly surprised. I should add that I live in one of the sunniest states in the Southwest. At the time I made this discovery, I enjoyed the daily habit of taking 30-60 minutes of sun in the backyard, au naturel. Still do, but I also supplement with 4,000 IU's of D-3 blended with K2 in liquid form.

Dr. says 90% of the population in my state is D deficient.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by John Caton View Post
    Too little is understood about D for me to definitively believe that serum levels are a viable gauge of D status. My concern is that supplementation may deceive us into believing it can take the place of UV action in the skin. That could be a huge mistake. With the sun, assuming cholesterol is adequate and sulfate levels are adequate, I believe we are OK, despite the levels in serum. D in serum may be D not being utilized.
    Do you have any reason to believe what you do? If, perhaps, you are right, the whole medical establishment for testing and therapy is in the weeds. Possible? Yes. Likely? Not much.

When I lived in FL, I got LOTS of sunshine for six months of the year working outside and riding my bike. Rarely wore a shirt. And yet, my serum level history is just what I told you. Declining.

No way am I going to risk a "D"ficiency.

Leave a comment:

• John Caton
    replied
    Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    Hi, John. You may want to reconsider not supping with D3. In the 7 years I've been doing D3, my serum levels were high - 74 whatsis per whatever - back when I was taking only 2,000 IU's a day. Since then it has been slowing declining, about 50 a year and a half ago while I have upped to 10,000 IU's/day for several years now. Whether the body is less efficient with age, or it is increasing efficient in cleaning out excessive D3, I don't know.

And then there's the D, A, K2, calcium balancing act.
    Too little is understood about D for me to definitively believe that serum levels are a viable gauge of D status. My concern is that supplementation may deceive us into believing it can take the place of UV action in the skin. That could be a huge mistake. With the sun, assuming cholesterol is adequate and sulfate levels are adequate, I believe we are OK, despite the levels in serum. D in serum may be D not being utilized.

Leave a comment:

• OnTheBayou
    replied
    Originally posted by John Caton View Post
    The fact that vitamin D isn't really a vitamin, but rather a hormone, bothers me when we discuss supplementation. I've supplemented, too, and I've seen "favorable" results in my labs. But, is that an accurate picture of what's going on? I seen numerous stories of people improving their labs while retaining the symptoms of their original deficiency. I quit supplementing, perhaps to my own detriment. I'm just trying to keep my cholesterol elevated and grabbing every beam of sunlight available in this winter's sky, until I figure it out.
    Hi, John. You may want to reconsider not supping with D3. In the 7 years I've been doing D3, my serum levels were high - 74 whatsis per whatever - back when I was taking only 2,000 IU's a day. Since then it has been slowing declining, about 50 a year and a half ago while I have upped to 10,000 IU's/day for several years now. Whether the body is less efficient with age, or it is increasing efficient in cleaning out excessive D3, I don't know.

And then there's the D, A, K2, calcium balancing act.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff1990
    replied
    Nice thread. I've been searching for good quality Vitamin D supps for a long time, this looks great.

Leave a comment:

• foodjames
    replied
    vitamin D is important for building and keeping strong bones. Vitamin D3 is more popular among vitamin d products.

Leave a comment:

• John Caton
    replied
    Originally posted by MEversbergII View Post
    This is excellent. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• MEversbergII
    replied
    Science behind vitamin D (MPKB)

M.

Leave a comment:

• John Caton
    replied
    The fact that vitamin D isn't really a vitamin, but rather a hormone, bothers me when we discuss supplementation. I've supplemented, too, and I've seen "favorable" results in my labs. But, is that an accurate picture of what's going on? I seen numerous stories of people improving their labs while retaining the symptoms of their original deficiency. I quit supplementing, perhaps to my own detriment. I'm just trying to keep my cholesterol elevated and grabbing every beam of sunlight available in this winter's sky, until I figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• purplegorilla
    replied
    Jarrow carries gel caps which contain olive oil for absorption. Decently affordable as well.

Leave a comment:

• eats.meats.west
    replied
    http://www.amazon.com/Nutrigold-Vita...sin=B004N8TTBQ

Leave a comment:

• coolrain
    replied
    Many thanks to all for giving me so much useful information. Now I am armed to shop a good V-D supplement.

Leave a comment:

• Drumroll
    replied
    This: NOW Foods Liquid Vitamin D-3 Extra Strength 1,000 IU 1 fl oz Liquid - Swanson Health Products

Ingredients: D3 and MCT oil.

Bonus: Can hold under the tongue for a bit for some sublingual absorption.

Leave a comment:

• Wildrose
    replied
    I use a D3 and K2 capsule that's suspended in coconut oil. It is, however, expensive. I'll check the brand... CanPrev. I take 3 a day when I remember, lol. XD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X