Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused About Fasting

I've been reading some of Mark's back-posts and came across one concerning the benefits of fasting to speed up weight loss. I had always heard that fasting causes your metabolism (at some point) to slowly go to sleep. Which means that when you come off of the fast, you are actually worse off than before since your body -- being denied food for a certain period of time, and in fear for it's life -- gets stingy with the food you've eaten and hordes the calories in your fat (I know that's not textbook science lingo, but you get my point). I guess my question involves WHEN does your body begin to lower its thermostat?

Originally posted by chazglen View Post
    I guess my question involves WHEN does your body begin to lower its thermostat?
    Probably when a chronic deficiency is detected. The idea behind fasting is to ensure both the "deposit" and "withdraw" systems are adequately exercised. Malnutrition is a potential but not necessary hazard of IF.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Not 'til like 36h fasted IIRC does stuff start to get sub-optimal ... typical IF fasting periods of 16-24h get you all the bennies.

Comment

Ah so . . . the window of opportunity! Thank you. Simple answers are best.

Comment

Yeah, just skip breakfast and you should get 15-16 hours of fasting done with no problem and most benefits.

Comment

Yeah, just skip breakfast and you should get 15-16 hours of fasting done with no problem and most benefits.

Comment

Since "conventional wisdom" says that BREAKFAST is the most important meal of the day (and also taking into account optimum metabolic burn), what different results might I see on a fat day (if any) by eating a big breakfast, then not eating again until breakfast the next day? Does timing of the fast make a difference?

Comment

Since "conventional wisdom" says that BREAKFAST is the most important meal of the day (and also taking into account optimum metabolic burn), what different results might I see on a fat day (if any) by eating a big breakfast, then not eating again until breakfast the next day? Does timing of the fast make a difference?
                Breakfast = breaking your fast. You can break it in the morning or at noon or in the afternoon.

I don't think the timing of the fast makes a difference. I would imagine you will be mighty miserable though, if you only eat one meal and that one in the morning. Anyway, I am not a believer in eating one meal a day so I'd advise you to eat a few meals during your "window". You can eat breakfast in the morning and then a few more meals until noon let's say and then stop. But again, IF is usually done by skipping breakfast not making it the main meal of the day. It just makes it all a lot easier IMO.

Comment

I'd imagine pre agricultural days, one did not pop up in the morning and reach for the box of cereal. Probably went out hunting or foraging and ate when you found something. I gave up breakfast about a year ago, seems that I was eating out of habit not hunger.

Comment

Working...
                  X