Phytosterols, Cholesterols, and Atherosclerosis - an article search

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phytosterols, Cholesterols, and Atherosclerosis - an article search

This is probably pretty obscure, but someone recently posted an article that had a negative (as in bad) association between either pytosterols or phytochemicals and actual atherosclerosis formation. It was in some thread pretty recently but I cannot for the life of me either search it up or hunt it down.

Does anyone have a lead? Wanting to see what all that's about.

Thanks,

M.

This is not exactly what you asked but it seems to be related:
    Phytosterol additives increase blood pressure and promote stroke onset in salt-loaded stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats. - PubMed - NCBI
    To assess the effect of dietary phytosterol on stroke and the lifespan of salt-loaded stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRSP), we investigated the effects of the addition of phytosterol to soybean oil (phytosterol content: 0.3%) on stroke onset, lifespan following onset of stroke and overall lifespan compared with canola oil (phytosterol content: 0.9%).
    My opinions and some justification

Comment

It sounds logical to me. Phytosterols are cholesterol-like compounds which your body can not use like cholesterol, but still absorbs and tries to use like cholesterol. That's why they lower your cholesterol numbers, but as we all should know, the numbers themselves don't mean much. I'd like to see more research into what happens biochemically when your body tries to use them, I have a feeling that like trans fats it may not be pretty.

Comment

Working...
      X