Gut microbial mix relates to stages of blood sugar control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut microbial mix relates to stages of blood sugar control

The composition of intestinal bacteria and other micro-organisms--called the gut microbiota--changes over time in unhealthy ways in black men who are prediabetic, a new study finds. ...
    Gut microbial mix relates to stages of blood sugar control | Science Codex

Important seems to be Akkermansia

Akkermansia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The researchers found that men whose blood sugar control stayed normal over the year had more gut bacteria that are considered beneficial for metabolic health, whereas those who stayed prediabetic had fewer beneficial bacteria and more harmful bacteria. In addition, the group whose glycemic control improved (group 4) had even more abundant Akkermansia--healthy bacteria--than the group that kept normal blood sugar control throughout the year.
    Makes you wonder where their [the diabetics'] Akkermansia had gone. Here's the answer given there:

Although the study found connections between composition of the gut microbiota and glycemic states, Barengolts said further research is needed to evaluate whether certain intestinal bacteria cause Type 2 diabetes. However, based on other research her group has conducted, she speculated that the foods we eat affect our diabetes risk through our gut microbiota.
    I can't help thinking that maybe antibiotics may be at work here, too. I know many diabetics and prediabetics do have horrendous diets, but maybe some have been physician-damaged - or at least damaged to the extent that they really can't tolerate as much carbohydrate as others can. (If so, and that can be shown, let's hope for some law suits against over-prescribing doctors - because I don't know what else is going to stop them.)

Maybe here's an explanation for obesity in some cases, too. It's pretty solid certain sure - whatever the "mainstream" may think - that not every obese person is "overeating" and being "underactive". Taubes and Teicholz should have laid that ghost whatever else they've achieved. Not sloth and gluttony.

I guess they'll just have to isolate and test strains of Akkermansia and administer those to diabetics - although given the general food-climate and the ignorance about what foods we need and don't need maybe people given those might succeed in killing them off, or minimising them, by what they eat (or drink).

Found a little more.

I thought this was interesting:

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/22/9066.full

Turns out Akkermansia seems to thrive when the mouse gets our old friend FOS (aka oligofructose). Akkermansia doesn't eat that itself: something more complex is going on.

Best sources:

present as plant storage carbohydrates in a number of vegetables and plants including wheat, onion, bananas, garlic and chicory.
    Inulin and Oligofructose: What Are They?

However, as we already know, what you feed depends on what's there:

All inulin-type prebiotics, including FOS, are generally thought to stimulate the growth of Bifidobacteria species. Bifidobacteria are considered beneficial bacteria. This effect has not been uniformly found in all studies, both for Bifidobacteria and for other gut organisms.[11][unreliable source?] FOS are also fermented by numerous bacterial species in the intestine, including Klebsiella, E. coli[12] and many Clostridium species, which can be pathogenic in the gut. These species are responsible mainly for the gas formation (hydrogen and carbon dioxide), which results after ingestion of FOS.
    Fructooligosaccharide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a conundrum.

FWIW, Americans generally get rather less FOS in the diet than Europeans. I don't know why. Maybe Europeans eat salads more often?

Comment

Working...
    X