Ad Widget

Collapse

Is it true that America put syrup on store bacon?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it true that America put syrup on store bacon?

Gods, I just checked another forum post and someone mentioned something that made me look twice. Apparently, store-bought Bacon in America have SUGAR and SYRUP on it? Regular packs of raw bacon strips?

Just... someone from America confirm or deny this madness. I ain't ever seen that in my life.

Many of the major brands of bacon include some form of sugar (white sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup) in their curing brine. It is not a lot, and is there to balance the saltiness.

If it bothers you, you can usually find brands without it.
    https://instagram.com/dinnerwithek/

Comment

Yes, bacon is usually sugar-cured. And, back in the day, I used to LOVE bacon with my pancakes and cover them both with tons of maple syrup. Yikes! I need to stop thinking about this...

Comment

Sugar is almost always a part of the cure for bacon as well as many other dry cured meats. We make our own bacon and ham and we use sugar in the cure. The final product is not actually sweet.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Yeah most store stuff I see has sugar and/or dextrose in the ingredient list, but the nutritional info will still say 0 carbs or sugar. *shrug* I don't sweat it, because one time at a big buffet brunch I ran strips of bacon under the chocolate fountain on the dessert table and ate like 10 pieces and was super happy and forgot about my terrible life for 5 glorious minutes. Wait what was I saying

Comment

sugar and salt are the common ingredients in cured meats and fish. it's not an american thing.
            As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
              Yeah most store stuff I see has sugar and/or dextrose in the ingredient list, but the nutritional info will still say 0 carbs or sugar. *shrug* I don't sweat it, because one time at a big buffet brunch I ran strips of bacon under the chocolate fountain on the dessert table and ate like 10 pieces and was super happy and forgot about my terrible life for 5 glorious minutes. Wait what was I saying
              Ha! Treasure those fleeting moments...
              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Well, if you buy the maple bacon you're getting what's advertised. I went to a diner recently, though, and what they served was bacon so sweet I... loved it, but knew it was awful. XD Delicious though.
                Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Traditional curing methods that use sugar are still ok IMO. That's where sugar belongs - as a condiment to real food. Unless you are being uber-strict on sugar, which is also fine and has it's place.
                  Healthy is the new wealthy.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/ances...handnutrition/

Comment

Here in the uk our bacon is mostly cured without sugar (though cold meats are another matter entirely!). Mind you, British bacon is different in terms of cuts too-American bacon cut is what we call streaky and is less common than back which is a much less fatty type of bacon. Most Brits get a shock the first time they order breakfast in the US (I certainly did!).

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Is it true that America put syrup on store bacon?

Originally posted by laurathegoth View Post
                      Here in the uk our bacon is mostly cured without sugar (though cold meats are another matter entirely!). Mind you, British bacon is different in terms of cuts too-American bacon cut is what we call streaky and is less common than back which is a much less fatty type of bacon. Most Brits get a shock the first time they order breakfast in the US (I certainly did!).

Yeah, Americans used to eat real back bacon too, until Oscar Mayer made streaky popular.

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                      Originally posted by tatertot
                      Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
                      "our ancestors obtained resistant starch and other fermentable fibers by eating a diversity of wild plant foods, bulbs, corms, tubers, cattails, cactuses, and medicinal barks..." -Mark Sisson

"I've long ago tossed the idea that a particular macro ratio is poison, and am now starting to think that the EM2…is defined less by novel NADS…and more by the gut microbiome and environmental pseudocommensals ..." -Kurt Harris, MD

Comment

The amount of sugar used in bacon isn't enough to think about. You'll get a lot more by eating a strawberry.

I buy thick sliced, maple cured, peppered bacon. It keeps the vegans away.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleophil View Post
                          Yeah, Americans used to eat real back bacon too, until Oscar Mayer made streaky popular.

Sent from my iPod touch using Marks Daily Apple Forum
                          Bless them. Why would you eat pork loin when you could eat pork belly? Although I guess back in the day, the loin was not the so incredibly lean as it is now. Modern breeds of hog and what not.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
                            Bless them. Why would you eat pork loin when you could eat pork belly? Although I guess back in the day, the loin was not the so incredibly lean as it is now. Modern breeds of hog and what not.
                            well Canadians make bacon out of the pork loin... and call it Canadian Bacon, of all things...

Comment

Originally posted by Bane View Post
                              one time at a big buffet brunch I ran strips of bacon under the chocolate fountain on the dessert table and ate like 10 pieces and was super happy and forgot about my terrible life for 5 glorious minutes. Wait what was I saying
                              *dreamy sigh*

Comment

Working...
                              X