Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best pre-made broth? Best canned soup?

I'm basically not a warm drink drinker, but if I were a warm drink drinker, how much could a warm drink drinker drink?

But seriously, I would like to have some broth around for those times when I want something warm. I tried buying the broth from the store, but it was so tasteless. Saltness, fatless, proteinless, vitamin/mineral-less. They all came in these cartons with small pour spouts. Is there a brand or type of product that I'm missing?

If nothing else, I can just keep canned soup around, I guess. Also, any recommendations on canned soup would be great too. I'm more of a Progresso guy than a Campbell's guy, and I don't find the Wolfgang Puck or store brand varieties to be anything special. I know the Paleo community is a little unique, so I thought I'd ask if there was anything that I was missing!
    Last edited by miloofcroton; 02-22-2016, 08:43 AM.

Stock can be judged by the protein content on the label. Most manufacturers try to dilute it to a minimum then make up the difference with salt and flavorings, especially beef broth (often <1g per cup, should be closer to ~5g). I've heard Kitchen Basics is okay.

Canned soup is disappointing. In the long run it's probably best to cook & store big pots of homemade vegetable soup as a basic routine. Several evenings per week I microwave a bowl and garnish with a chopped scallion--feels nice and civilized.
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

Yeah, I buy Kitchen Basics Beef Broth. It seems heartier than other brands, but still isn't much to write home about. As it warms up on the stove, I add seasonings - salt for sure, and usually a tablespoon of gelatin to give it some body. Then it's a blank slate and much more appropriate for actually turning into a meal.

Comment

trader joe's makes decent broth but food cost is outrageous and flavor utterly inferior vs. home-made, so...
        As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
        X