Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten Free Beer?

I LOVE beer. I miss beer. I've seen some GF beers on the market but have been reluctant to try them. Are they any good? Are they a viable substitute or should I simply train myself to like wine?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Kirin, Japanese rice beer, is the best tasting I've had. I've tried several made with sorghum but cared for none really. I like sorghum syrup so I was surprised I didn't like sorghum beer.

I really liked Omission. Because it's made with barley, they can't call it gluten-free despite their claim that the gluten is enzymatically removed. That wasn't sufficient for the labeling police. I don't really know if it is or isn't. I tried it back before they had to quit making the claim.

I've tried several apple ciders, naturally gluten free, but too sweet and carb ladened. Stella Cidre is less sweet and more beer like, but it ain't beer.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

I've tried some ciders. Was like drinking syrup (blech!). Will look into the Japanese beer. Thanks!

Comment

If you I were you and did not any sort of gluten sensitivity, I would would still have the occasional beer but would make it a high quality one. Life is too short to completely avoid things you love but make the indulgence worthwhile. And most gf free beers I have had in the past were crappy and life is definitely too short to drink crappy beer!

If you have any sort of gluten sensitivity, try some different ciders. The sugar content in them can vary greatly. I live in Ohio and there is a local one that is nothing like Redds, it is more complex and less sweet. There is also alcoholic ginger beer that is very tasty alone or with bourbon and honey mead. Keep trying different types of wine too. There are so many varieties of wine, if you don't like one, try something else.

Comment

I cannot eat any wheat-containing foods without feeling unwell, but beer doesn't bother me, even the full-gluten stuff. Good old-fashioned regular beer tends to have between 20-200 ppm gluten, while bread weighs in around 75,000. After you have been gluten free long enough, you might consider giving a real beer a try.
          The Champagne of Beards

Comment

I tried a few gluten free beers and didn't like them. I'll have to try Japanese beers, though, if I can find any.

That said, I usually just drink local micro-brews and don't care about the gluten. I'm not particularly sensitive and it's probably fermented off anyway. And if you get the micro-brewed, unfiltered stuff, you might be getting some beneficial gut bacteria too.
            Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

Originally posted by Wildrose View Post
              I tried a few gluten free beers and didn't like them. I'll have to try Japanese beers, though, if I can find any.

That said, I usually just drink local micro-brews and don't care about the gluten. I'm not particularly sensitive and it's probably fermented off anyway. And if you get the micro-brewed, unfiltered stuff, you might be getting some beneficial gut bacteria too.
              Surely, the fermentation reduces gluten considerably. I'm guilty of hitting my Guinesses and Murphy Reds on special occasions when nobody's watching.
              Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
              Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by MrsTidbelly View Post
                I've tried some ciders. Was like drinking syrup (blech!). Will look into the Japanese beer. Thanks!

the french make some bone-dry apple and pear ciders.
                As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Crispin is pretty dry.... and pear ciders are the bomb!

Comment

My daughter has celiac and a couple of years ago she has introduced us to GF beer, and I thought it was good. I only occasionally drink beer and definitely do not have well educated beer tasting capability.
                    The brand was Red Bridge by Anheuser-Busch, a sorghum based brew.
                    Finally have given up on MDA Forum.
                    My friends, I'll see ya at primalforums.com where I'm user #4, and we do have a moderator.

Comment

Dry ciders are becoming more available. Much better than the sweet swill pushed by the big breweries.

Ciders made from pears=perry

Dogfish Head makes a gluten free beer called Tweason'Ale that is worth looking up.

My beer replacement is homemade dry hopped Kombuca. I keg it and always have two different flavors on tap. Drinks like a pale ale or ipa.

Comment

I've tried Estrella Daura. It tasted just as good as Estrella

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I'll probably just make beer my "occasional splurge" thing - I already prefer good beer, so no worries there. Might try some different ciders too just so I have options. The ginger beer sounds good! I love ginger. Still gonna try the Japanese beer when I get a chance, just to see if I like it.

Comment

Working...
                          X