Ad Widget

Collapse

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geostump: for now, just hang from your bar to help you get over the fear. It's not that high so just breathe through it and simply hang with your arms straight.

All: My gf Carolyn and I were finally able to put a little something together for you guys. She's been doing her own research and working out almost entirely on her own so I just let her do her thing. We were not at my house so we couldn't try any of the devices that I have shown before but I'm very impressed with the strength she's developed on her own thus far. We most likely will do another one in the next few days where I want her to try some of the things that I've presented here. Hope you all enjoy. For anybody that gets confused I use my real name at the end of the video, it's spelled Youthser but it's pronounced Yo-sir and I have no idea where my dad got it from, his best explanation is that he put the word "youth" and the Spanish "to be" verb "ser" so my name is supposed to mean "to be young/youthful" etc... another explanation is he got it from a Western... but I like the "to be young" thing way better.

This video should be titled The Beauty and The Beast haha she's so cute and I look like a wet dog. We had just woken up.

Any questions please ask!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by runnergal View Post
      Body ups are done on a low bar.
      it's what Al calls an Australian pullup.
      Oh, OK. I know what those are. Georgette, maybe you should try some of these. It would keep your feet on the ground so no fear of heights issue.

Comment

• Originally posted by CKATTO71 View Post
        I don't have a pull-up bar yet, but I'm getting one on Tuesday. I'm in for the challenge. How does it work?
        I just put you on the list. We agreed that anyone can join as late as they like but that the end date will still be dec 31 2011 at midnight for everybody.

Comment

• OK, iniQuity: Right off the bat, I like the girl because she is wearing a heart Oregon shirt. She's a cutie, and more importantly, quite helpful and a good teacher. This was VERY helpful. Please tell her I said thank you.
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
            OK, iniQuity: Right off the bat, I like the girl because she is wearing a heart Oregon shirt. She's a cutie, and more importantly, quite helpful and a good teacher. This was VERY helpful. Please tell her I said thank you.
            I will she'll be very happy to hear that! She's very excited about her own progress so she wanted to share. Her brother moved to OR last year and she went out to see him and he gave her the shirt as a welcome to OR gift. She looooved Portland.

Comment

• Iniquity dear, please tell Carolyn how much we appreciate her taking the time to help you out on this video. It's one thing to see you do pull ups like they are nothing. It was very nice to see how she, another woman who doesn't find them easy, is making progress. Of course she has the world's best personal trainer. It's nice of her to share you with us now and then.

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                This video should be titled The Beauty and The Beast haha she's so cute and I look like a wet dog. We had just woken up.

Wow! Yay for Carolyn's jumping chin-up! Great work.

Thank you - you two are adorable.
                I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  I just put you on the list. We agreed that anyone can join as late as they like but that the end date will still be dec 31 2011 at midnight for everybody.
                  I'll go back and read the beginning for details, but is the idea that we will train so that on that date we will be able to do one from the hanging position?
                  My Journal
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by CKATTO71 View Post
                    I'll go back and read the beginning for details, but is the idea that we will train so that on that date we will be able to do one from the hanging position?
                    Yep, that the general idea. From dead hang to chin all the way over the bar with hands in pull up position. (backs of the hands towards you)

Comment

It's one thing to see you do pull ups like they are nothing. It was very nice to see how she, another woman who doesn't find them easy, is making progress.
                      yes, yes.
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                        Geostump: for now, just hang from your bar to help you get over the fear. It's not that high so just breathe through it and simply hang with your arms straight.

I can't do negatives, so what I will sometimes do is this:
                        - stand on a chair, holding the bar at chin height (like I just finished a pullup)
                        - carefully step off the chair while "fighting" it with my arms (like my arms are trying to keep me at the top while my legs are trying to let me step down)

Does this make sense? I end up getting a negatives-style workout without ever having to take both feet off the ground. As with regular assisted pullups, you have to be careful not to over-assist with the legs, but it's a good place to start getting comfortable with negatives
                        I can't even hang from it. Even though I know I am below weight capacity for the thing, I'm still scared I'm going to break the door frame or myself. Also I can't seem to lift my feet off the ground or anything. I also can't do the fighting it on the chair thing. I did get 13' of rope and some pvc pipe at HD last night so I think starting this evening I'm going to start working on the Australians.
                        Georgette

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerLily View Post
                          yes, yes.
                          That's why I wanted to bring her into the mix because yeah I get how you guys feel. I hang at other forums where dudes are doing outrageous shit that I someday hope to accomplish and they have tutorials and stuff like that and I'm like "yeah this is so easy for you superhumans but I'm still working on x,y,z" so I know what it's like to be in your place as well.

I'm just excited we're all collectively working to get stronger and all that, the buddy system is alive in here!

Comment

• iniQuity, Carolyn rocks and you are both are very adorable!! Tell her thanks for making the video with you! We'll need more from you both!

I have been hanging around on the bar today little by little. I've tried to do a couple of Australians and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the homemade bar up high enough. I'm terrible at knots. Thinking if the hubs has a chance, I"m going to see if he can come up with something.

I'm also starting with push ups and other bw exercises tomorrow. is there anything else I can be doing to help me get more upper body strength?
                            Georgette

Comment

• Also Iniquity, please tell Carolyn I added her to the list so she is one of the team. She is #65.

Although she will probably get there before the rest of us at the rate she's going.

Comment

Also Iniquity, please tell Carolyn I added her to the list so she is one of the team. She is #65.

Although she will probably get there before the rest of us at the rate she's going.
                                I'll let her know, and honestly I'm surprised at her progress so far because she initially just dropped to the ground and could barely hang (this was months ago) but like she states on the video she's only been strength training dutifully for 3 weeks and she's doing quite well. I don't know if she can get a positive in two weeks, but I think in a month she should be able to. I'm most proud of her jumping chin up + slow negative, that's a sure fire way to get an honest positive. I told her she needs to now stop at the lowest point of the rep and build that static strength.

@Geostump, did you notice the static holds Carolyn did at the top of the bar? Do those on your low bar just raising your feet up a little. This way your fear of heights shouldn't kick in and static holds are GREAT for building strength. You would be sitting down, then grabbing the bar and lifting up with your feet straight out in front of you but still on the floor and just hold on for as long as you can, rinse and repeat.

Make sure all you guys are doing static holds!! they're very important. Do slow negatives and if you can just stop and hold hold hold at various points. Static holds should be a staple of your workouts, they'll get your muscles used to the load of your bodyweight.

Comment

Working...
                                X