Ad Widget

Collapse

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in. Last year I did a Dragon Door pull-up seminar, about eight guys and five (crazy lean and muscular) women. I was the only person in the group that could not do a pull-up. It was extremely embarrassing. I haven't tried since then, but I believe I've lost15 pounds since then, and gained some muscle. Maybe I'll try again next time I'm at the gym.

We have one of those assisted pull-up machine things @ the gym. Going to try that a couple of times a week.

Comment

• Is it too late for me to join? I'd love to get involved in this. I'm not entirely sure I've ever done a pull up! I won't be able to use a bar in the house but I have a tree in my front yard! :-)

Comment

• i'm sure it isn't. just jump in!

Comment

• Originally posted by frances View Post
          I'm in. Last year I did a Dragon Door pull-up seminar, about eight guys and five (crazy lean and muscular) women. I was the only person in the group that could not do a pull-up. It was extremely embarrassing. I haven't tried since then, but I believe I've lost15 pounds since then, and gained some muscle. Maybe I'll try again next time I'm at the gym.

We have one of those assisted pull-up machine things @ the gym. Going to try that a couple of times a week.
          The assisted machine is the worst way to get the pullup, you should do hanging, negatives, leg-on-chair, and other methods to practice. Seriously. Pullups are a full body exercise and that assist machine not only helps with the weight but removes the lower body component, making it an incomplete practice.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

• measure this stuff and make sure you are always pushing for more, always be trying to take it to the next level
            you need a "brett" with the stop watch and whistle then, like lucky Jemaine with his stationary bike.

Comment

• Oh Sweet Jesus, are my rear delts and teres major *supposed* to hurt like this? F*@#!!
              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• must be doing something. . .

Comment

• The assisted machine is the worst way to get the pullup, you should do hanging, negatives, leg-on-chair, and other methods to practice. Seriously. Pullups are a full body exercise and that assist machine not only helps with the weight but removes the lower body component, making it an incomplete practice.
                  Guess that means I should stop having my boyfriend help me! I got my pull-up bar yesterday, and tried 1-leg assisted with a chair. Tough, but was able to do about 8 with each leg (felt like I needed to balance it out). Tried negatives, but dropped very fast. Good and sore today! Glad I'm not the only one! Way to go Sigi!
                  Jen, former Midwesterner, living in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

• Well I think yesterdays workout was a step in the right direction! 100 pull-ups! with a 10 minute time limit. I got the last one in right on the 10 minute mark! Now of course I was using a band to help me cause I can't do even one by myself yet but that had to have done me SOME kind of good!

Comment

• Originally posted by Noctiluca View Post
                      Well I think yesterdays workout was a step in the right direction! 100 pull-ups! with a 10 minute time limit. I got the last one in right on the 10 minute mark! Now of course I was using a band to help me cause I can't do even one by myself yet but that had to have done me SOME kind of good!
                      How do you find the resistance bands? I just ordered a set as I can't do one unassisted pull-up either.
                      My Journal

Comment

• Great Challenge Robin!
                        I am 100% in! ...that's something I have always wanted to do besides a good amount of push-ups and the handstand. :-)
                        Right now I am at 0 as well....and honestly can't imagine doing one anytime soon...but hard work will pay off, so I am looking forward to working on it with all you guys!

Comment

• surgical tubing, which you can find at stores that cater to those who get in home care, is an inexpensive alternative to resistance bands. some gym-equipment stores will sell both, as well, and it's usually a bit more expensive there than the home-care stores.

the main thing is to get the full range of motion too, and think about it from the elbows. DH and i were talking about this. the elbows make an arc, and if you think about drawing the elbow from eye level (extended arms) to nearly behind you or touching the sides of your rib cage.

and here's another training tip: shrug first. that is, draw the shoulders down and together while just hanging. even if you do just that small movement a number of times, it will help get that first part of the movement into place.

also, for kicks, i did a lot of negatives today, and i think this will really help out. 1. start at the top and hold as long as you can at the top. breathe, and see how long you can hold it. do several of these. 2. start at the top and lower half way. hold this as long as you can. breathe. do several of these. 3. start at the top and lower to mid-point, then *try* to draw your elbows back to your rib cage (a half chin up). do as many of these as you can. don't forget to breathe. 4. start at the top, lower to the midpoint and hold, then lower to the bottom point and hold. then try to come back to the mid point --just focus on bending your elbows and bringing them in line with your shoulders. lower and come back to the mid-point. do this as many times as you can.

to be honest. 3 and 4 are tough. particularly if you are doing them slowly. but doing them starts to make that "groove" as well.

it's just something to toss into the mix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
                            Good and sore today! Glad I'm not the only one! Way to go Sigi!
                            Ha - glad I'm not the only one too! Not that I mind a bit of post-workout muscle screaming - at least it lets you know what you're doing is having an effect. (Even if putting on a bra in the morning does become something of a Herculean effort! )
                            I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• I'm just in from the gym, having managed 2 circuits of 3x10 reps on the 2 leg-assists (plus a load of other stuff). Oh. My. God. My arms and legs were shaking so much by the end of that, but it definitely pushed the comfort zone and then some. A very satisfying session, now that it's over and I can sit on my sofa with a glass of red wine. I was completely unable to wash my hair because I can't lift my arms up.

Comment

• Originally posted by zoebird View Post
                                and here's another training tip: shrug first. that is, draw the shoulders down and together while just hanging. even if you do just that small movement a number of times, it will help get that first part of the movement into place.
                                So just hanging off the bar can be a place to start? I was at the park yesterday, did some "Australians" and other upper body type exercises on the parcourse, but could not do a single negative -- can't even really hold it at the top. I do remember that when DD1 was about 4, she used to just hang off the playground equipment. Eventually she progressed to doing the monkey bars really well and was able to do pull-ups at one point (she's out of practice right now.) Maybe I need to start with just hanging off the bar as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X