Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Worldwide Pull Up Challenge of 2011 Who's In?

Some other ladies and I got to chatting on my journal about how pull-ups have always been the hardest thing for us to accomplish, even when fairly physically fit otherwise. In fact, they can be so daunting that it's easy to give up on them before you even start.

So, some of us have started the Worldwide Pull-up Challenge to knock down this barrier in 2011.

To enter this challenge you must be

1. Female or Male (Edited due to me being called a sexist for leaving the guys out)

2. Totally incapable of doing even 1 un-assisted pull up at the present time

3. Willing to really work at it to change this this year

So far myself, Roberta and Ellie G have taken up the challenge. Who else wants to add their name to the list?

We are sharing tips about ways of working up to doing a pull up etc.

Together we will get those chins over those bars!

Robin
    Last edited by Paleobird; 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM.

• Jenny
    replied
    Okay, the new thread is up!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45692.html

Please reply over there to sign up (and in general. It's a new year!)

Thanks again to Paleobird for the original thread idea and for hosting.

Leave a comment:

• TobelikeGroketta
    replied
    Bump!

Has anyone else gotten under the wire and attained his/her unassisted pullup? (I haven't, so I'll be joining the new thread.)

Leave a comment:

• Jenny
    replied
    Sure! I'll do it! And I'll post a crosslink here to refer people over there when it's time.

This will give me the added advantage of saying, "If an overweight, wimpy, loose-elbowed gal like me can do it, anybody can." Assuming I can, of course. WHICH I TOTALLY CAN. Rawr!!

The original thread was focused on women... how do people feel about that focus now? Open it up so anybody can join? (or did that happen already and I'm oblivious?) Either way I'll make sure the thread title is nice and clear.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Jenny View Post
    In the continuing saga of my endless medical excuses in between bouts of flat-out laziness, now I have a knee injury and this doesn't go so well with my various assisted pull-up options... I sure hope there's a Pull-Up Challenge for 2012 thread!
    Hi Jenny. On my journal I explain why I am taking a bit of a break from the forum for a while so I may not be around to keep a thread active for next year. So, I hereby nominate YOU to run the 2012 Pull Up Challenge thread.

All in favor, say aye!

Leave a comment:

• Jenny
    replied
    In the continuing saga of my endless medical excuses in between bouts of flat-out laziness, now I have a knee injury and this doesn't go so well with my various assisted pull-up options... I sure hope there's a Pull-Up Challenge for 2012 thread!

Leave a comment:

• jfrendek
    replied
    If I could do one I'd be up for it.

Leave a comment:

• TobelikeGroketta
    replied
    I stick my knee in the band, mainly because the bar is up high enough to make it uncomfortable/awkward to step into it. Also, FWIW, I'm recently pausing with my chin above the bar to see if that helps. Does anyone else do this?

Also, put my name in the hat for 2012 if I don't achieve this in 2011.

Leave a comment:

• NourishedEm
    replied
    I started with my foot in the band you sent me, then as I got stronger I progressed to my knee, less stretch = less assistance.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by TobelikeGroketta View Post
    By the narrowest, do you mean the #3 small blue band, or the #2 super-mini red band or the #1 mini purple band? Or even the #0 pilates band?

Also, do you support your weight by putting your foot or bent knee into the band?
    The set of 4 bands I got were a lavender one about 3.5 inches wide,a black one about 2.5, a green one about 2 inches wide, and the smallest is dark blue and about 1 inch wide. That's the one I'm on now.

I put my foot in the loop not my knee. I feel like this gets you into a more natural pull up position. Anybody else?

Leave a comment:

• TobelikeGroketta
    replied
    Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
    ... I have made a lot of progress this year, from two leg way too assisted pull ups to full hang with the narrowest of the Woody Bands but still not able to do one on my own. ...
    By the narrowest, do you mean the #3 small blue band, or the #2 super-mini red band or the #1 mini purple band? Or even the #0 pilates band?

Also, do you support your weight by putting your foot or bent knee into the band?
    Last edited by TobelikeGroketta; 11-22-2011, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• smilingjustalittlebit
    replied
    Stick at it folks, I was in this position for a while after having shoulder surgery, now i'm banging them out with 17.5kg on a dip belt.

Leave a comment:

• zoebird
    replied
    nah, i'm going to stick with it and keep encouraging others.

Leave a comment:

• Dirlot
    replied
    Chin/pull ups need to be from full extension.
    My daughter wanted to be able to do them so she started from 10 negatives a day. From the top position she took 4 sec to lower herself. She did that 10 times. Next day 11 etc.
    By the time she hit 15 she could do a full pull/chin. Now she came from a climbing background which is why she wanted to do them so she already had some strength. do negatives...add one a day...by the time you hit 20 you will be able to do one.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Never fear. There will be another Pull Up Challenge for 2012.

If we are being honest, I don't think I am going to make it by the end of this year either. I have made a lot of progress this year, from two leg way too assisted pull ups to full hang with the narrowest of the Woody Bands but still not able to do one on my own.

This spring I was mostly focused on getting 35 extra pounds off of me and this summer I was gearing up for my Africa mountain trek concentrating mostly on lower body strength. I'm keeping the weight off well so I think that will be a help.

I'm not going to give up on conquering the elusive pull up and I hope you won't either.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X