No announcement yet.

Calorie Counting Revisited : Distillation and Update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is a fabulous thread. Just started tracking calories this week. Staying around1600-1700, but imagine I've been eating well over 2000 previously (from chocolate indulgences and nuts!)

However, it says ideal % BF is 20 for women...this would put me at 117 lbs. I think I would be emaciated at that weight. I'm more of a muscular build to begin with, but I assume this is just a guide. At 135 currently I know I would be better off closer to 125! (5'4.5")
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• I also have great success counting calories within a protein rich eating plan. And I never feel deprived or starved. I stay within 1200 calories five or six days a week, then give myself two days where I can eat up to 1600. I do this so my body doesn't acclimate to the 1200.

Having a mini binge day (maybe 1700 calories) also seems to break pesky plateaus. Same weight for more than 10 days? Mini binge and almost always, a couple of pounds disappears.

When I'm foolish enough to tell this to people in real life, they often tell me it's too calorically restrictive. I turn out that noise like I turn out the noise of the garbage collectors at 4am.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlyingPig View Post
        That said, what I take on board from this is that I shouldn't go overboard with the dietary fat and probably see it as a phase I had to go through for healing my body and controlling cravings (turning into a fat burning beast instead of a wounded sugar burning animal). I don't think I have the discipline to actually count calories and weigh my food, but "portion control" is definitely something I can work with now that I have my appetite under control.
        Getting married in 2 months time so not much time to get into shape!
        Exactly. And Congrats!

Originally posted by solstice View Post
        THIS is a fabulous thread. Just started tracking calories this week. Staying around1600-1700, but imagine I've been eating well over 2000 previously (from chocolate indulgences and nuts!)

However, it says ideal % BF is 20 for women...this would put me at 117 lbs. I think I would be emaciated at that weight. I'm more of a muscular build to begin with, but I assume this is just a guide. At 135 currently I know I would be better off closer to 125! (5'4.5")
        All of those official table are just starting points. Also 117 pound with some muscled involved looks a lot different than the skinny fashion model look.

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
        I also have great success counting calories within a protein rich eating plan. And I never feel deprived or starved. I stay within 1200 calories five or six days a week, then give myself two days where I can eat up to 1600. I do this so my body doesn't acclimate to the 1200.

Having a mini binge day (maybe 1700 calories) also seems to break pesky plateaus. Same weight for more than 10 days? Mini binge and almost always, a couple of pounds disappears.

When I'm foolish enough to tell this to people in real life, they often tell me it's too calorically restrictive. I turn out that noise like I turn out the noise of the garbage collectors at 4am.
        Sounds like a good plan. And I agree about the noise factor. Thank people for their concern and move on.

Comment

• I corroborate this posting. I'm mathematically inclined and if 'you don't measure it' you can't change it. I knowingly have been counting calories and tracking percentages of fat/protein/calories from day 1. I'm currently on Day 21 with 7 lbs weight loss and 3" between waist and hips. I never go above 1500 calories per day, with the emphasis on protein and carbs. My ratios are 50 grams carbs, 70-90 grams fat and 70-90 grams of protein. I'm 5"10" with a current weight of 154 (down from 161lbs). I'm watching the count daily and loss is steady and predictable. This is coupled with walking 30-40km per week and a 'steadily active lifestyle'. Great posting.

/louisa
          ----------------------------------------
          F, 48, 5'10"
          Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
          Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Louisa655 View Post
            I'm mathematically inclined and if 'you don't measure it' you can't change it.
            /louisa
            Exactly. If you don't know where you are, how can you know where you are going?

Comment

• Just for a reference point Fierce also believes that she has gained "10 lbs of LEAN tissue" in 6 weeks by eating sugar and drinking milk a'la Peat... without ANY heavy lifting. (Impossible BTW... gain sure, lean gain... nope, not without lifting).
              I'm also confused as to why someone in the naturally low-normal to low weight category would spend time counting calories, unless they were trying to be anorexic.

In my own case I don't always count, but I do keep tabs when I feel myself slipping.
              For me 'slipping' means not eating enough rather than eating too much as I have medical issues that cause nausea and lack of appetite. When I slip too low I get very tired and weight loss stalls.
              Last edited by cori93437; 07-14-2012, 06:49 PM.
              “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
              ~Friedrich Nietzsche
              And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Thanks for the encouragement! I was down to around 119 in my juicing days. everyone said how THIN I was...I was skinny, but I didnt feel like I was radiating health at ALL. Interesting to see what 120-125 lbs could look like if I was radiant!
                Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
                http://thewoodsygal.com/

Comment

• I am finding on Peat I don't have to count calories as much; I eat what I need and am actually eating more than I have in years with mostly lean tissue results. I would have guessed a few lbs at most when I stepped on the scale; I am in the same size clothes.
                  No, I did not lift heavy. I also did not eat one bite of red meat.
                  Originally posted by cori93437 View Post
                  Just for a reference point Fierce also believes that she has gained "10 lbs of LEAN tissue" in 6 weeks by eating sugar and drinking milk a'la Peat... without ANY heavy lifting. (Impossible BTW... gain sure, lean gain... nope, not without lifting).
                  I'm also confused as to why someone in the naturally low-normal to low weight category would spend time counting calories, unless they were trying to be anorexic.

In my own case I don't always count, but I do keep tabs when I feel myself slipping.
                  For me 'slipping' means not eating enough rather than eating too much as I have medical issues that cause nausea and lack of appetite. When I slip too low I get very tired and weight loss stalls.

Comment

• Originally posted by fiercehunter View Post
                    I am finding on Peat I don't have to count calories as much; I eat what I need and am actually eating more than I have in years with mostly lean tissue results. I would have guessed a few lbs at most when I stepped on the scale; I am in the same size clothes.
                    No, I did not lift heavy. I also did not eat one bite of red meat.
                    What does RED meat have to do with anything?
                    Lots of people add muscle without red meat... because protein is available from lots of other sources. Derp.
                    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I'm a n00b to this WOE. Female, 50s. This past September I was sitting on my butt watching tv and a commercial with Alec Baldwin came on, and I was amazed at how great he looked. I immediately googled around and he mentioned eating "low carb high fat". I stumbled across this site LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com and started following the diet immediately. That was October 1, 2012. By October 31 (one month) I had lost 30 lbs, and was happily in ketosis, and never hungry. Then the stall happened. I didn't lose a pound in November and I didn't lose a pound in December. In mid-December I did a bit more googling, found this board, bought the book, and made the slight changes I needed to to follow PB. Feeling great. But still no weight loss. So frustrating!!

I read all 502 pages of the Before and Afters. I read all of the Eat Moar Fat posts. And then I found this.

Four days ago I started counting calories, and started exercising. I've already lost 2 lbs. It is absolutely what I needed, and many thanks to paleobird for starting it, and for everyone's contributions. Your comments and thoughts keep lurkers like me motivated and inspired!
                      be the hair that knots with my hair
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      primal since oct. 1, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by little vase View Post
                        Hi everyone,

I'm a n00b to this WOE. Female, 50s. This past September I was sitting on my butt watching tv and a commercial with Alec Baldwin came on, and I was amazed at how great he looked. I immediately googled around and he mentioned eating "low carb high fat". I stumbled across this site LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com and started following the diet immediately. That was October 1, 2012. By October 31 (one month) I had lost 30 lbs, and was happily in ketosis, and never hungry. Then the stall happened. I didn't lose a pound in November and I didn't lose a pound in December. In mid-December I did a bit more googling, found this board, bought the book, and made the slight changes I needed to to follow PB. Feeling great. But still no weight loss. So frustrating!!

I read all 502 pages of the Before and Afters. I read all of the Eat Moar Fat posts. And then I found this.

Four days ago I started counting calories, and started exercising. I've already lost 2 lbs. It is absolutely what I needed, and many thanks to paleobird for starting it, and for everyone's contributions. Your comments and thoughts keep lurkers like me motivated and inspired!
                        Hi Little Vase and Welcome,

I'm so glad that you are seeing good results. Stay with it.

So often the arguments around here devolve into people lining up in two extreme camps, one that says calories are ALL that matter and one that says they are totally irrelevant. Just "going HF/LC" isn't going to work if you are still eating way more calories than you need. It's all about finding the macro ratio that works for you AND keeping it in the context of total calories.

I wish you well.

Comment

• Thanks for the welcome.

I find that this is the magic bullet for me, and a way I can continue to eat (happily) for the rest of my life, with possible tweaks here and there for various reasons. And calorie counting combined with being in ketosis is a breeze for this portion of the losing weight for me. I also just started exercising (treadmill walking and recumbent biking), which of course helps, and is making me feel great. I also have a narrow-ish eating window - I'm eating mainly between 12-6 during the day, two meals. I like making two meals more calorie and nutrient dense rather than spread the cals out over three skimpier meals. It works for me, and I'm never hungry in the morning anyway.

I just joined SparksPeople to track my progress and goals, thanks to this post. It's just loaded with all kinds of helpful info

Comment

• This is one of the reasons you're one of my favourite posters, Paleobird. Smart, useful and kind (plus, your nickname).
                            Thank you very much for the impeccable post!

This is also extremelly timely, as I am tired of pretending I do not condemn myself to weight "unloss" - or even gain - daily.
                            Well, and therefore I don't lose anything. Yesterday news, right?

Well, my case?
                            1940 cals/day (physical activity level took in account)
                            1440 cals/day to create the usual deficit

125 grams protein/day = 500 cals
                            => 100 grams carbs/day = 400 cals (I won't commit to go under 100 grams)
                            => 540 cals from fat, which gives 60 grams fat/day.

Clear as air: 1440cals = 125g P + 100g C + 60g F
                            Now the shock will follow as I am going to realize what 60 grams of fat, look like - I mean, food-wise.
                            Last edited by La Carnera; 01-05-2013, 03:21 PM.
                            Ancas Largas (or "Wide Hips") | visual primal diaries (in portuguese)

Comment

• Originally posted by little vase View Post
                              And calorie counting combined with being in ketosis is a breeze for this portion of the losing weight for me. I also just started exercising (treadmill walking and recumbent biking), which of course helps, and is making me feel great. I also have a narrow-ish eating window - I'm eating mainly between 12-6 during the day, two meals. I like making two meals more calorie and nutrient dense rather than spread the cals out over three skimpier meals. It works for me, and I'm never hungry in the morning anyway.

I just joined SparksPeople to track my progress and goals, thanks to this post. It's just loaded with all kinds of helpful info
                              Yes, ketosis makes it easier for me too. I have no appetite for 3 meals/day. Usually I eat about 1.5 meals, like one real full meal and one snack.
                              I used sparkpeople also and found it very helpful.

Originally posted by La Carnera View Post
                              This is one of the reasons you're one of my favourite posters, Paleobird. Smart, useful and kind (plus, your nickname).
                              Thank you very much for the impeccable post!

This is also extremelly timely, as I am tired of pretending I do not condemn myself to weight "unloss" - or even gain - daily.
                              Well, and therefore I don't lose anything. Yesterday news, right?

Well, my case?
                              1940 cals/day (physical activity level took in account)
                              1440 cals/day to create the usual deficit

125 grams protein/day = 500 cals
                              => 100 grams carbs/day = 400 cals (I won't commit to go under 100 grams)
                              => 540 cals from fat, which gives 60 grams fat/day.

Clear as air: 1440cals = 125g P + 100g C + 60g F
                              Now the shock will follow as I am going to realize what 60 grams of fat, look like - I mean, food-wise.
                              Aww. You made me blush. Thank you. I'm glad it could help.

Well, most butters are about 100 cal/tbsp. That doesn't mean you need to eat 5.4 spoonfuls of butter however. A lot of your fat is going to be already included in your meat.

Comment

• I have lost 2 more lbs. So that's 4 in less than one week - 4 days, really. Now that I see this is viable I'm going to stop weighing myself obsessively every day and go to a once a week weigh-in ;P

So, what is working for me very well right now is a combination of these things: easy exercise (I'm just walking and doing light cycling), eating two meals a day (lunch and dinner), being in ketosis (I am 100% primal and love it), counting calories, not snacking, and using SparkPeople to track my data.

I have not yet done any of the PB Fitness exercises or the LHT although I plan to.

Just putting this here in case it helps anyone else the way the other posts have helped me.

Comment

Working...
                                X