Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Winos???

Figure since I was a mixed drink type of guy I quit drinking plain out and never really been one for beer. Figure I want to get going on some wine as I need a good stress reliever every now and then. What's a good wine out there to try and get going in that direction? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to wine except that I know I prefer red over white.

If you have a Trader Joe's, get the Charles Shaw label. AKA "2-buck Chuck." At the grocery store I like Angel Juice Pino Griggio (white) and Black Box Merlot (red), both are in boxes. Merlot is kind of bland wine, Cabernet is really full and rich, Shiraz is like Cab but sweeter and fruitier if that helps, but honestly, I think they all taste fairly similar when they are cheap wines. If you're gonna be a real wino, you gotta be cheap.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Yes, I have a TJ's a lil ways a way from me but worth a trip. Does Whole Foods by chance carry it? I have one of those closer so just curious. I'll more than likely grab the Black Box Merlot and see how that goes. What kind of Shiraz is good? Wine in general is pretty cheap which is a huge plus too haha.

Comment

You spelled Amy Winehouse wrong

Comment

For the under $10 wine, I usually go South American especially Argentine reds. They are better value for money than anything out of America, and the really cheap Euro wine we get in the US is pretty bad.Above $10 I'm much more likely to go Italian or Spanish or, these days, Portuguese. Over $25 I'll look for a DCOG Chianti or a super Tuscan, maybe a Fench Gigondas, something either super classic or something brand new. In American upmarket wine I like Oregon Pinot Noir (but that's where I'm from, I'm a homer), or if I have $$ a classic Napa or Sonoma cab. But in general I go cheap=S. America, spendy = Euro.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I'll definitely spend some time looking around wine store for the Argentine Reds same a few of those and those Shiraz. Thank you for you input!!!

Comment

Layer Cake Shiraz, Layer Cake Malbec, Cocobon(from TJ's), Oregon Pinots(I'm with u Farny) Kendall jackson Merlots...
              Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Comment

Pinot Noir from northern Cali is my vice. I like just about anything that comes from the Russian River Valley. If you have a costco, pick up a bottle of Cameron Hughes, and enjoy.

Comment

Oregon Pinots when I want something light, which for whatever reason is more and more. Clos du Bois is pretty good for a Californai Pinot and slightly less expensive.
                  Cabernets when I want full body - love Wild Horse and Clos Du Val
                  Chianti is a great really dry red - but beware, they will suck the moisture out of your skin if you drink too much. LOL
                  Chardonay on the off chance I'm feeling like something white. Favorites are Rex Hill or Kendall Jackson Grand Reserve

Avoid like the plague: Anything from Beringer. I don't know what's in it, but I've had massive hangovers from it after only one or two glasses.

Comment

I recommend the Chilean Cono Sur label wines. They are very ethically produced and offer excellent value for money for the quality. The Pinot Noir is awesome and the Gewürztraminer a very refreshingly different white. They're not cheap (about £7-£8 a bottle in the UK) but beat the pants off most of the competition IMO. Waitrose, Tescos and Sainsbury's are stockists in the UK.

Cono Sur Vineyards & Winery. Chilean wine made sustainably.

(no I don't work for them, sadly).

I rate Chilean Sauvignon Blanc and Chenin blanc, Italian Gavi, Orvieto and Prosecco, Spanish Rioja, French Chablis, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Villa Maria label). Chilean and Sicilian wines very consistently offer great value for money.

For a very different white wine, try Greek Retsina with Mediterranean food during the summer - it's an acquired taste, very aromatic, as it's infused with pine resin. Kourtaki is a good label.
                    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

I definitly second the Charles Shaw recomendation from Trader Joes, in any variety it's damn good for the price. Other then that, I tend to find a wine store that is local and I like, and simply tell the guy what I want out of a wine and ask them for their recomendation. I rarely get anything terrible, and you build a relationship with another local vino. Trust me on this one.
                      “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Comment

I like Ménage à Trois Red - it's usually $10 and under. Can't say about Trader Joe's wines cuz we don't have wine in grocery stores here.

Red Guitar Old Vine Tempranillo Garnacha (Grenache) is good too. It's a Spanish Wine.

... and for something really good, but not necessarily cheap try a Priorat from Spain.
                        Last edited by Lynna; 02-17-2012, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Also, the Australian red wines are good, too, and cheaper like the Chilean ones.
                          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

Working...
                          X