Ad Widget

Collapse

Super long hair care

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Super long hair care

    I'm growing out my hair, aiming for hip or tailbone length. It's barely touching my neck now. What should I be doing to keep it strong and healthy? I eat 8 eggs a day and eat gelatinous meat already, plus foraged plant matter and potatoes by the bucketful. Do people put anything natural ON their hair to make it stronger, etc?
    Crohn's, doing SCD

  • #2
    I treat mine with benign neglect. I wash it a couple times a week with some industrial horror national brand - Mane & Tail was the last one I bought, but I happily use Prell when I can find it. A couple of times a year, I make two braids and trim what's below the rubber band. Mostly I let it dry on its own while pulled back in a scrunchy. If I need it dried fast, I blow dry it. It's pretty thick, but I thank my genes more than anything else. Lots of thick hair in my family and not much baldness that I can remember.

    Mine is only to just above my elbows. It never did reach my butt.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 08-26-2014, 11:50 AM.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

    B*tch-lite

    Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

    Comment


    • #3
      I can't help with long hair care (although I did have long hair for about 10 years pre-primal) but I will say, I've stopped using shampoo altogether and my hair feels great. Soft but not whispy, shiny but not greasy.

      Comment


      • #4
        ignore it, learn to braid it, prepare for a lot of aggravation when it gets in the way

        and by ignore i mean let it air dry and keep it pulled back
        beautiful
        yeah you are

        Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
        lol

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
          I'm growing out my hair, aiming for hip or tailbone length. It's barely touching my neck now. What should I be doing to keep it strong and healthy? I eat 8 eggs a day and eat gelatinous meat already, plus foraged plant matter and potatoes by the bucketful. Do people put anything natural ON their hair to make it stronger, etc?
          I have long dark hair (some grey now ...) falling well on my shoulders. It is a little annoying to take care of it, so I shampoo it rather rarely (maybe once every other week). But what's more annoying is to go to a hair-dresser and cope with the chatty guy or girl that cuts your hair. So I have been trimming my own hair for the last 15 years. I have no money to throw in this. I keep my hair in a pony tail for convenience but I let it dry when I wash it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Mine has grown longer than it ever has after I quit shampooing. Before, when shampooing, it would break off on me. Shoulder length was the longest I could get it without it looking horrible. I use no product and only get it wet 1 or 2 x week. When I do I rub in egg yolk and let it sit a few minutes before rinsing. Comes out soft and with lots of shine. I also take gelatin and eat a few raw eggs a day, which I started around same time as no shampoo, so could be that as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
              I'm growing out my hair, aiming for hip or tailbone length. It's barely touching my neck now. What should I be doing to keep it strong and healthy? I eat 8 eggs a day and eat gelatinous meat already, plus foraged plant matter and potatoes by the bucketful. Do people put anything natural ON their hair to make it stronger, etc?
              The longest I have had my hair was down to my lower back, below the rib cage. Right now it is at mid-back, but I am in the process of growing out a short bob cut I got in 2011. Long process!

              I only wash it once or twice per week, and don't get it wet during the shower unless I am washing it. When I do wash it, I use the snooty all natural brand shampoos. These bottles are expensive but will last months if you're only doing it once or twice per week.

              After washing it, let it air dry. Blow dryers will dry it out and cause breakage. Also, I once burnt some hair on one! No curling irons or flat irons, either.

              To prevent breakage, I comb it out before bed and tie it up or braid it. I also sleep on a satin pillow. These methods prevent breakage because as I am tossing and turning during sleep, I am not making knots and tangles in the hair. Most of the breakage occurs when brushing-through.

              I will do an apple cider vinegar rinse whenever I feel like my hair is snarling up a lot. The ACV makes it smooth and almost removes the need for a brush.

              When I brush, I brush with boar's hair round brush. Soft bristles give to prevent breakage, as opposed to hard bristles that would pull and cut through the tangles, causing breakage.

              I also get the ends trimmed. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but trimming the ends (like filing nails) allow the hairs to grow longer. I think it has to do with the split ends splitting up and taking off an inch or so, whereas a straight cut would take off much less.
              Last edited by kathleen; 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM.
              Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

              Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
              Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
              Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
              F/23/5'9"

              26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

              Comment


              • #8
                Get a freaking hobby knifey. All this boredom is making you say some pretty weird stuff about your hair

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by not on the rug View Post
                  Get a freaking hobby knifey. All this boredom is making you say some pretty weird stuff about your hair
                  i have to second this

                  this is a particularly bad time to grow your hair out as your little bebe will have a field day tearing it all out. that's partly why you'll need to keep it pulled back.
                  Last edited by bloodorchid; 08-26-2014, 02:14 PM.
                  beautiful
                  yeah you are

                  Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                  lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bloodorchid View Post
                    i have to second this

                    this is a particularly bad time to grow your hair out as your little bebe will have a field day tearing it all out. that's partly why you'll need to keep it pulled back.
                    With as long as it takes to actually grow hair out to the point where a baby could reach it and yank it out, said baby would have already aged well past the hair-tearing years.
                    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

                    Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
                    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
                    F/23/5'9"

                    26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Get a freaking hobby knifey. All this boredom is making you say some pretty weird stuff about your hair
                      No need to project your lazy life on me. I have ten ducks, a baby, work 100 hour weeks, all I do is move and work. These rare windows on the internet are chances to drop things I've been mulling over while I work. I am also raising a wels catfish, that's a hobby. If you followed me around for three days, you'd probably shoot yourself in the head. I don't even have time to whack it, man. Always busy. Hair grows itself, a perfect busy man's project. All I really have to do is not cut it.

                      I remember boredom. It was nice. I hope someday to have it again. Maybe when the kids move out.
                      Crohn's, doing SCD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                        All I really have to do is not cut it.
                        Actually, you should trim it occasionally as one poster mentioned. Hair grows best when trimmed. Good luck!


                        Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                          I remember boredom. It was nice. I hope someday to have it again. Maybe when the kids move out.
                          This... so this!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                            No need to project your lazy life on me. I have ten ducks, a baby, work 100 hour weeks, all I do is move and work. These rare windows on the internet are chances to drop things I've been mulling over while I work. I am also raising a wels catfish, that's a hobby. If you followed me around for three days, you'd probably shoot yourself in the head. I don't even have time to whack it, man. Always busy. Hair grows itself, a perfect busy man's project. All I really have to do is not cut it.

                            I remember boredom. It was nice. I hope someday to have it again. Maybe when the kids move out.
                            Classic. "I don't even have time to whack it." From one man to another, I KNOW you're busy when you say something like that

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kathleen View Post
                              With as long as it takes to actually grow hair out to the point where a baby could reach it and yank it out, said baby would have already aged well past the hair-tearing years.
                              yeah yeah i know this

                              but his hair is already not short, so there's enough for the baby to yank and then the toddler to yank then the child to yank when playing or having a tantrum
                              beautiful
                              yeah you are

                              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                              lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X