Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a 48 hr fast.

I'm considering doing a 48 hour fast as I've read that it can really help one's immune system. I've only done 24 hr. fasts and that was before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, a little over a year ago. My concern is that the second night I will have trouble sleeping, as it is now if I undereat I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep unless I eat.

If anyone has any tips on how to successfully fast for 48 hrs I'd love to hear them.

Do you drink anything other than water on your fast?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

I've done 2 72 hour fasts since those studies about the immune system reset came out. I think if you can do 24, 48 shouldn't be too hard (not sure how your thyroid issues will impact your experience). I did drink a black coffee in the morning and drank maybe 72oz of water/ day. I did mix some sea salt in the water a couple times/ day.

For me, it gets easier as time goes on. I'm used to eating dinner (I fairly regularly IF), so evenings are the toughest time. I slept ok, but that's just me. I didn't ease back into things-- in 2 hours I had 1.5 lbs. grassfed beef, yogurt, berries, and some other stuff. My system handled it all in stride. Not sure if I got any physical benefit (hope I got some nice autophagy and a sparkling new immune system machinery, but who knows?), but it feels nice to be able to accomplish an extended fast. You'll be fine, just do it!

Originally posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I'm considering doing a 48 hour fast as I've read that it can really help one's immune system. I've only done 24 hr. fasts and that was before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's, a little over a year ago. My concern is that the second night I will have trouble sleeping, as it is now if I undereat I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep unless I eat.

If anyone has any tips on how to successfully fast for 48 hrs I'd love to hear them.

Do you drink anything other than water on your fast?

Comment

UF, I'm pretty much back to one meal a day, so fasting isn't a thing I'd add to that. So, just observations from me.

The first thing I can tell you is to play it by ear. You've mentioned before, I think, that getting good and the right amount of sleep is paramount to your physical and mental health. I'd keep that in mind. IOW, if the first time you tried a 48 hour fast, you "only" made it to 36 hours, I'd call that a win and try again next time to reach 48.

Water is best, but if you, especially in the beginning, want to supplement with bone broth, do it.

As to the mental aspect, plan ahead. Keep anything around to keep you busy. Books, lists of chores, movies you've wanted to catch up on, a walk to a destination you've wanted to try, etc.

Good luck! I'll be cheering for you.
      "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Thanks Iconoclast and Joanie for your support!

I'm definitely planning ahead, I'm considering doing it when my son goes on a 2 night camping trip with his school and Hubby is interested in doing it too so that helps. I spend a lot of time processing food. I love doing it so I'm going to have to think of other things to do.

Hiking would be good and really engrossing movies (not easy for me to find because I have eclectic tastes), and last but not least is chores that I've been putting off.

My concern is that I have not been IFing, in fact I've recently stopped eating dairy (which seems to be helping my allergies) but I'm finding that I'm eating less and my hunger is increasing. I don't have a lot of extra fat to draw on which may be a factor.
        Last edited by Urban Forager; 08-26-2014, 11:11 PM.
        Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Comment

Hi UF,

Freaky! I was just reading something on this yesterday afternoon.

What about maybe having some melatonin on hand to help with potential sleep loss?

I've only ever done fasts of juice or broth, not water. Didn't have any sleep issues during them. But I do remember reading that strenuous exercise was not advised. Movies or small chores may be the way to go.

Best of luck
          Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Woke in the middle of the night hungry, I used to get up and have something quick like cottage cheese, but since I'm not eating dairy it's challenging to find something easy in the night. Eating a can of Kippered snacks when I'm half asleep is more than I can manage in the wee hours.

This is why I'm concerned about the second night of fasting, does the hunger go away? I would just do a 24 hr fast but apparently 48 hrs is the minimum to kick start the immune system.

It's not like I always eat in the middle of the night, but when I undereat it happens.

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?

Comment

I did a 66 hour one once; the hunger does eventually go off.

M.

Comment

The longer the easier. The first 2 days are the usually the worst. By end of day 2, you should feel quite OK.

Comment

Originally posted by FrenchFry View Post
                    The longer the easier. The first 2 days are the usually the worst. By end of day 2, you should feel quite OK.
                    I'm only planning on 2 days so it sounds like I should plan on it being pretty tough.

What about just before the fast, is there anything I should or shouldn't eat?

Comment

I
                      What about just before the fast, is there anything I should or shouldn't eat?
                      I find that if I eat very nutritious stuff like plenty of stew with beef, veggies, tubers or legumes, fruits and dairy during a long large meal, I have no hunger pangs at all for 40h. But I do eat big before the 2 days fast. Since I eat mostly one meal during a day, I have plenty of room for it. If you are used to 3+ meals / day, you may find it a little rough, especially by the end of day 1.

Comment

I guess I have a different metabolism, eating one meal a day would be a stretch for me.

From what I read about fasting to improve the immune system, 48 hrs seems to be the minimum. I'm just not sure I'll be able to do it. 24, I could do but that second night, I seriously have my doubts.

Comment

I'm 16/8 most days of the week. Today I've decided I'm just going to skip the chow, turning it into a 46 hr fast for me it looks like (planned dinner arrangement at 6 tomorrow). So you're not alone!

M.

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?
                            You only have to go to be hungry once for a 48 hr fast if you time it right, especially since you're used to IF. Shorten your feed window on the day you start a to a single (LARGE) meal for dinner (Friday night as an example.) Skip out on food Saturday and eat another large dinner Sunday night. 48 hours and one night hungry!

Sorry - I guess I read someone else's IF comments and attributed them to you! Either way, this is the easiest way I know to pull off a 48.
                            Last edited by UpACreek; 08-28-2014, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UpACreek View Post
                              You only have to go to be hungry once for a 48 hr fast if you time it right, especially since you're used to IF. Shorten your feed window on the day you start a to a single (LARGE) meal for dinner (Friday night as an example.) Skip out on food Saturday and eat another large dinner Sunday night. 48 hours and one night hungry!

Sorry - I guess I read someone else's IF comments and attributed them to you! Either way, this is the easiest way I know to
                              pull off a 48.

Yeah I know it's only one night but I imagine I'll be pretty hungry before I even attempt to go to sleep that night. It's been my experience that I can't sleep if I'm hungry. I'm sort of leaning to not doing a 48 fast. Maybe I should get used to doing 24 hour fast before I attempt a 48.

Comment

Working...
                              X