Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisturizer/hand cream

I've been using coconut oil as my only moisturizer for over a year. I'm not sure why though... I'm not sure it doesn't anything Now that winter is here, I wash my hands 30+ times a day (I'm a nurse and hate the hand sanitizer stuff in the hospital) and I use too much chalk at crossfit... the skin on my hands is peeling and cracking. Its really pretty bad.

Anyone have any lotion recipes that I could make at home? Or other butters/oils that may work better? I've seen 'recipes' on wellnessmama and other websites but there are always have lots of "this didn't work" comments.

Thanks!

In my experience, it's much easier to make a cream, body butter or balm than it is to make lotion. The main difference is that with lotion you're making an emulsion and you're relying on wax to combine the oil and water. I've had some lotion disasters in my day... With a body butter, cream or balm you're usually just blending ingredients and not trying to suspend the oil in water.

I haven't tried these recipes yet, but I have them all pinned and plan to try them soon. The balm sounds nice, IMO. So, maybe one of these would work for you:

DIY Whipped Body Butter Recipe - The Idea Room

Living Unrefined: Homemade Beeswax Balm {multipurpose}

In the Nursery of the Nation: How to Make Homemade Lotion Bars

Comment

Duplicate post... oops!
      Last edited by nikitakolata; 12-03-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lorichka6 View Post
        I've been using coconut oil as my only moisturizer for over a year. I'm not sure why though... I'm not sure it doesn't anything ...

Anyone have any lotion recipes that I could make at home? Or other butters/oils that may work better?
        Well … not a recipe, but I was surprised to see recently that Blue Ice -- the company that sells the fermented cod liver oil -- now does creams.

Ingredients: Shea Butter, X-FACTOR Gold High Vitamin Butter Oil, Blue Breeze Organic Coconut Oil, Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil, Cranberry Oil, Organic Orange Oil, Lavender Oil.
        Skin Care Products - Green Pasture

I suppose the "secret ingredient" is the fermented cod liver oil. I guess it is quite high in vitamins, besides oils that are probably beneficial for skin. I'm thinking it would also have the live bacteria from the fermentation in it. I suppose that those keep getting sanitised off with what you need to do; so maybe it would be no bad thing to put some back.

Other than that, it looks quite interesting. There's some coconut oil in there, but shea butter is the main ingredient. AFAIK, that has some reputation. The butter oil is also interesting -- maybe that would be quite good.

I guess most products nowadays are plant-based -- not, I'd guess, just to get vegetarian custom, but simply because that's cheapest. But here you've got two oils from the animal kingdom used. Why not? People used to use stuff like lard and goose grease and swear by it. I think butter has been used in some countries, too.

Anyway, if you do use the fermented cod liver oil and have a bottle around, maybe it would be worth having a go at making something like this. I've no idea what the quantities would be, but I assume it would be mostly shea butter, quite a bit less of the next two ingredients, only a little of the CLO, and just a few drops of the essential oils.

Comment

I have really dry, cracked hands in the winter and I use Shea butter. It works really well. I've tried coconut oil on my skin but it gives me a rash and it's way too greasy.

Comment

Shea butter plus a touch of coconut oil plus a few drops of lavender EO to help healing.
            Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
            34yrs old, 5'5"
            CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
            GW: 135lbs or less
            Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

it will also help if you slather on whatever before bed and then sleep wearing little cotton gloves -- like minnie mouse. when i was working in restaurants i had the same issue of having to wash my hands a million times a day and that is the only thing that worked.
              As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I've seen recipes about the interwebz for making hand salve using beef tallow, and I remember when I was a kid my nana used to just rub lard on her hands.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontwisst View Post
                  I've seen recipes about the interwebz for making hand salve using beef tallow, and I remember when I was a kid my nana used to just rub lard on her hands.
                  Interesting. After handling bacon I often will just rub the residual fat into my hands and have been astonished how well they felt. Never considered using animal fat intentionally for that purpose.
                  Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                  Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by John Caton View Post
                    Interesting. After handling bacon I often will just rub the residual fat into my hands and have been astonished how well they felt. Never considered using animal fat intentionally for that purpose.
                    I'd be wary of that if it's not cooked bacon. If I'd been touching raw bacon I'd want to wash my hands with soap and warm water.

Sure, everyone's not always washing all the time in the wild, but then wild animals haven't been intensively bred and intensively farmed -- kept in conditions in which what might once have been harmless bacteria in their guts or on their skin has "gone rogue".

Here's the hands of a Hadza hunter from Tanzania:

http://humanfoodproject.com/wp-conte.../handdirty.png

The caption reads:

The hands of a Hadza male following the butchering of a large animal. Note the Hadza will often clean the blood off their hands with the acidic stomach contents of the deceased animal (as seen in the picture above). The microbes from the butchering and subsequent hand cleaning in the microbial-rich stomach contents is a significant source of microbes for the Hadza as the men then move the microbes socially (aka horizontally) among other community members. We also collect time series samples whereby we swab hands of hunters several times a day before and after a butchering even to see how long the animal acquired microbes persist on their hands.
                    Just don't try that with a supermarket chicken!

And raw pork can be fairly dodgy, too.

People have certainly used rendered lard for their skin in the past, though. And goose grease, as I mentioned above, was another old favourite. In some rural parts of the North of England until fairly recent times (1950s or 60s) country people would rub goose grease on their children and then sew them into long underwear, thinking that this would keep them warm. Maybe it did, but they didn't smell too sweet after awhile.

Comment

I alternate between shea butter and pure lanolin. I work in healthcare and wash my hands constently also.
                      When my hands are really bad, I slather them up with lanolin and wear cotton gloves overnight. It always makes my hands silky soft after a few applications.
                      I get the lanolin that comes in two different 'types'. There's the regular, which is thick and 'heavy' and the lite, which goes on smoother and doesn't really need your body heat to spread on easily.
                      Some people just need a sympathetic pat... On the head... With a hammer.

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

I read about tallow too. I've got some in the freezer - might render it just for fun and see if it works.

I ended up following the basic recipe of 75% "solid" and 25% "oil" using cocoa butter and coconut oil. You were supposed to whisk it but its either too hard or too soft for me to whisk so its still sitting on the counter waiting for me to have a day off - I'll report back if/when it works

Comment

I use coconut oil ( a small amount) or coco-butter. Most lotions have too much water, with the exception of the expenstive stuff like Eucerin or Oil of Olay..
                          Health is Wealth!

Comment

I want to second the suggestion to use lanolin. A few years ago I started making a homemade deodorant using coconut oil, beeswax, and a few other ingredients. I discovered that I really liked the consistency of the final product as a nighttime moisturizer so I adapted the recipe as a salve. It doesn't absorb as fast as coconut oil though, so I'd just use it as a spot treatment or before you go to bed. It follows:
                            1/4 c beeswax, finely shaved
                            1/4 c coconut oil
                            2 tbsp pure lanolin
                            1 tbsp shea butter

Heat the beeswax over low heat, stir to melt. Stir in the she butter, lanolin, coconut oil until smooth. Pour into receptacle and cool in the freezer until set (this makes the recipe smoother, no crystals).

Comment

While this may not be a fave of the tree huggers I love Cetiphil cream. I mix it with my favorite perfume oil and call it a day.
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

~ Theodor Seuss Geisel aka... Dr. Seuss ~

Comment

Working...
                              X