Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily aspirin?

A friend of mine told me about a study in which those who took a daily aspirin had an overall lower rate of cancer, though the "why" was somewhat inconclusive. In addition to what they say about heart health, does taking a low dose aspirin daily make sense? Not using it for its pain relief/anti-inflammatory properties in terms of daily life, rather its prophylactic benefits. Or is there a good reason not to (aside from if at some point I develop a bleeding risk or stomach issues)?

Read this: Daily aspirin advice debunked - Health News Updates

Since I definitely am allergic and have suffered from gastrointestinal bleeding, aspirin is off limits except during heart attack. (And then I m reluctant!)

Comment

Since I definitely am allergic and have suffered from gastrointestinal bleeding, aspirin is off limits except during heart attack. (And then I m reluctant!)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyP View Post
        Or is there a good reason not to ?
        Of course there is, it is not food! How can you make a modern medication a daily staple ??

Comment

1,300-Year-Old Pottery Found in Colorado Contains Ancient

Comment

Originally posted by Paysan View Post

Study I was talking about was one done in Europe (I think) in the last couple of years and had to do with cancer, not heart attack.

Comment

I have read in many studies that aspirin can cause leaky gut syndrome. Definitely not a good thing on a daily basis. I would do some googling on my own to be sure the risks of daily aspirin use are fully understood.

Comment

Aspirin Use and Colorectal Cancer: Post-Trial Follow-up Data from the Physicians' Health Study | Annals of Internal Medicine
                In the Physicians' Health Study, both randomized and observational analyses indicate that there is no association between the use of aspirin and the incidence of colorectal cancer. The low dose of aspirin used and the short treatment period may account for the null findings. However, other characteristics associated with the use of aspirin in observational studies remain a plausible alternative explanation.
                My opinions and some justification

Comment

the "why being somewhat inconclusive" is because the study can only point to correlation so doesn't mean much.
                  As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by DannyP View Post
                    A friend of mine told me about a study in which those who took a daily aspirin had an overall lower rate of cancer, though the "why" was somewhat inconclusive. In addition to what they say about heart health, does taking a low dose aspirin daily make sense? Not using it for its pain relief/anti-inflammatory properties in terms of daily life, rather its prophylactic benefits. Or is there a good reason not to (aside from if at some point I develop a bleeding risk or stomach issues)?
                    The GOOD reason not to is that it shuts off normal enzyme response to inflammation, whether acute or chronic. Although we should strive to reduce chronic inflammation, we need all of our sensory perception to detect acute inflammation. Furthermore, taking an aspirin doesn't diminish the cause of chronic inflammation, just the symptoms. We just become unaware of its presence. It's like trying to cure a "Check Engine Light" on your car's dash by knocking out the light with a hammer.
                    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
                    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

What about more natural anti-inflammatories, such as turmeric root capsule?

Comment

I've been taking tumeric for maybe 5 months now. Can't really say I've seen any major changes??? But who knows, maybe it's too nuanced for me to notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

personally, i don't think those herb "capsules" are worth spending money on. no way of knowing how much is in there nor how fresh it is. just use lots of herbs and spices in your cooking.

eliminating industrial grains, seed oils and other inflammatory foods, as well getting enough vitamin d, should really be all you need here.
                          As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Cancer is not a single disease with a single cause. The best diet in the world cannot undo genetic mutations, contaminated food, air and water, or the toxic modern day Western environment. But some effort is better than no effort at all, such as no smoking, using filtered water, primal diet, etc.

Comment

I would have to agree that the anti- inflammatory properties of aspirin would most likely be why the correlation is there if the the cause and effect are actually real. Inflammation is like the " root of all evil" in many or even most chronique illnesses. Whether the benefits outweigh the risks would be the question as with anything else we take. I prefer aspirin to other NSAIDS as I think it has less side effect for me, but with anything else, YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                              X