Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difficulty gaining weight

I've read forum posts by various people here and elsewhere with the same problem as me: inability to put on weight.

I'm hoping to get some really detailed and well-informed advice that's consistent with the primal/paleo advice to people with the opposite problem. I mean, we don't advise someone looking to lose weight t count calories and artificially restrict their appetite, do we? We tell them to adjust their macros by eating less fruit, nuts, dairy and so on. So I'm working on the assumption that the reverse of this advice should be good for me: eat higher carb to gain weight. Problem is, it's not working. Any thoughts?

PS if Mark or any other diet gurus are reading this, please do a detailed and scientifically based post about it! There's just so little out there besides folks on forums with anecdotal recommendations.

Yeah, I don't think anybody's ever studied this. My secret is calorie-density, high food reward, low-satiety foods. Peanut butter and milk are magic. Not primal (at least in the quantities in which I eat them when I'm on a gain), but not the worst non-primal choices, and temporary.
    The Champagne of Beards

Comment

OP, there is no magic macro change. You just gotta eat more . In addition to the milk and PB that Rich recommended, dark chocolate, ice cream, and buttery potatoes seem to work well.
      In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Comment

difficulty gaining weight

My response below
        Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 01-23-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

difficulty gaining weight

Yep I've mentioned this before in another post - it can be hard to gain on a purely primal diet (and even harder on a keto diet).

If you have this 'problem' then you could try non-primal add-ins. Eg Good Icecream, add sugar to full-fat yogurt, nut butters as mentioned above, desserts etc. Drink calories ( shakes etc) - basically do a bit of the opposite of what primal says to lose or maintain weight. Easy to overeat processed foods - over eating is what feeds gains ( water, fat, and some muscle).

Over wise just overeat high calorie primal foods ( though as you've probably found - the appetite isn't there to do that - if so then it's hard work)

Comment

You need to consume more calories than your body expends. The amount of carbs you eat does not matter when talking strictly weight gain/loss.

Comment

Wouldn't honey or maple syrup fit?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

Also, don't over exercise. Do enough to stimulate appetite, and get fresh air and sleep, but don't go overboard.

Could you add an extra meal to your day, by eating breakfast early and then having a late night hot chocolate or cold ice-cream (depending on the season).

Have foods that are easy to eat. If you can't be bothered, peeling, cutting, chewing or whatever, the appetite will be gone before the food is.

Enjoy mealtimes, share them with people you love.
                My first journal - http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/for...mal-highlights

Comment

You just gotta man up and eat the hell out of all the food. Lift big, eat big.

I'm trying to add a couple pounds right now, and I'm eating an absolutely terrifying amount of food. When I eat around people, they just stare and gape. I eat until it's painful. Then I stuff in more. Then more.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
                    I'm trying to add a couple pounds right now, and I'm eating an absolutely terrifying amount of food. When I eat around people, they just stare and gape. I eat until it's painful. Then I stuff in more. Then more.
                    If you don't mind me asking....

What's your current weight?

Don't you think it's odd that you have to eat that much to maintain or gain? -yes I understand we need to overeat to gain but your posted amounts seem very large for a couple of pounds of gain or maintaining.

Or are you always 'exercising' (mostly hard) in some form?

Where is this large amount of energy going?

Comment

Originally posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
                      If you don't mind me asking....

What's your current weight?

Don't you think it's odd that you have to eat that much to maintain or gain? -yes I understand we need to overeat to gain but your posted amounts seem very large for a couple of pounds of gain or maintaining.

Or are you always 'exercising' (mostly hard) in some form?

Where is this large amount of energy going?
                      It's not that weird. Weigh about 165, lift 3x per week, have always eaten quite a bit, and am generally active. On top of that I typically have 20+ hours per week where I'm coaching athletes, so I'm up and about and moving around that whole time. Weekends I'll do a hike or something else fun. I need a bunch of fuel, man.

Comment

Biodiesel tank : Hip-flask of olive oil

Comment

more calories

Comment

Working...
                          X