Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candida overgrowth and paleo link?

Hey guys. I've been eating Paleo for about 3 years now (80/20 rule of course) and I've never had this issue before, but during the end of the holiday period this year, my sister and I both formed a candida rash. We've been to the doctor and have been treating it for about a month now, but it really isn't much better. It'll ebb and flow and go away for a bit and then come back with a vengeance.

Here are the things we have been trying:
    Anti-fungal:
    fluconazole (3x per week)
    Coconut oil
    Lavender oil (in coconut oil)
    Grapeseed oil (in coconut oil)
    Pau D'arco lotion
    Apple cider vinegar

Pro-biotic: (at night)
    Watered down yogurt
    Kombucha
    Pro-biotic pills (several different kinds)

Really my question is, does anyone have any tips for us? We're already grain free and mostly sugar free, but any little slip up seems to complicate the issue. Also, if we do get rid of it, is it just going to keep coming back anytime we cheat? I would be rather sad if I could never have a beer ever again without having to deal with fighting off candida everytime I indulge.

For now, "mostly sugar free" may be too much. That feeds the candida. Cut out cheats until you're well.

It's good that you are introducing good gut bugs but what are you feeding them? Are you just pumping them in and letting them die. They can eventually overwhelm the candida but they need to live. You need prebiotics along with your probiotics. Fiber and resistant starches.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Comment

Efficacy of garlic (Allium sativum) treatment against experimental candidiasis in chicks.
      Garlic (Allium sativum) at 2% or 4% in feed of White Leghorn chickens, initially 4 weeks old, protected them from experimental candidiasis. The disease induced by oral inoculation of chickens with Candida albicans (Pantnagar strain) was successfully cured by providing a diet with 5% garlic.
      My opinions and some justification

Comment

Interesting. 5% garlic in a human diet... is a lot of garlic, lol. I'm wondering if any other measures must be taken in addition to the garlic? I know that many try to starve the bacteria by abstaining from carbs, but that only kills off the wanted the bacteria, like a medication that has equally bad side effects.
        | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Kathryn Watts View Post
          Really my question is, does anyone have any tips for us?
          No. But there's a lot of information here you might want to cast your eyes over:

Dysbiosis - Bacterial, Fungal & Parasitic Overgrowth

We're already grain free and mostly sugar free, but any little slip up seems to complicate the issue. Also, if we do get rid of it, is it just going to keep coming back anytime we cheat? I would be rather sad if I could never have a beer ever again without having to deal with fighting off candida everytime I indulge.
          It seems to be simple sugars it feeds off, so I guess grains aren't feeding it, but various sugars in food and drink could be.

Comment

Eat resistant starches and probiotics

Comment

instead of watered down yogurt, try making milk kefir. It has beneficial yeasts in it as well as bacteria.

Commercial yogurts aren't really very potent with microflora, you're better off making your own from a quality starter.

I have just cleared myself of a 2 month candida infection, with 3 days of homemeade coconut yogurt.

I now make milk kefir too.
              "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post
                instead of watered down yogurt, try making milk kefir. It has beneficial yeasts in it as well as bacteria.

Commercial yogurts aren't really very potent with microflora, you're better off making your own from a quality starter.

I have just cleared myself of a 2 month candida infection, with 3 days of homemeade coconut yogurt.

I now make milk kefir too.
                Can you point me in the direction of a good coconut yogurt recipe? Been thinkin about making my own yogurt...

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

this is mine -

4 x 270ml tins of coconut cream ( I use Ayam brand)
                  3 tablespoons of sugar ( I used vanilla infused castor, diff sugars give different flavours)
                  1/8 teaspoon of starter culture

Heat coconut cream to 170 degrees F (77 C) , add sugar, stir to dissolve
                  Cool to room temp, remove 1 cup worth. Add the starter culture to this 1 cup, stir in well.

Combine with remaining mix and cook in yogurt maker for 8 hours.

Pour into jars and refrigerate until set

Worth its weight in gold, very very delicious

THis is my starter culture

*GI ProStart Yoghurt Starter 24 grams: shipped with ice - GAPS Diet Australia Pty Ltd

Makes 80L
                  "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

The only thing that has reduced my yeast load is cheating mercury from my body.

Info here: http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/

Comment

Where is the yeast rash on your body? It's really weird that you and your sister both developed it at the same time. Are you sure it's not some kind of ringworm or something? Do you have photos? I had chronic vaginal yeast infections for over 2 years. My sex life was horrible. Going paleo with almost no sugar or cheats cleared it up within a month.

Comment

Drinking bentonite clay is beneficial for some people too. It's magnetic properties pull the candida from the intestinal walls.

Comment

Working...
                        X