Ad Widget

Collapse

How on earth do I cook chicken drumsticks?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jenniferbarclay
    started a topic How on earth do I cook chicken drumsticks?

How on earth do I cook chicken drumsticks?

I am fairly new to the primal lifestyle, having been a vegan for nearly two years. I have reintroduced organic meat and some grass fed dairy, but I am still pretty clueless (especially when it comes to baking). I picked up these organic free range chicken drumsticks from Trader Joe's Organic Free Range Chicken Drumsticks ($1.99 a pound?! Deal of the century man) but I have absolutely no idea what to do with them! There's no directions on the package. Do I bake them? For how long and at what temperature? What do I put on them? Before or after baking? Agh! Help me people!

• Wildrose
    replied
    Oh! One thing you can do is make them into a curry. Fry them up a bit to get some of the fat off, put them aside, put together the stock and all the curry fixings then add them back. Cook on the stove top until they're done, probably around 30 to 45 minutes. They might be a bit well done but that's fine in a curry.

Edited to add: When I said get the fat off, that's because you use the same pan for the curry fixings. XD So you get bits of chicken skin and fat in the curry, mm.

Leave a comment:

• Wildrose
    replied
    Just bake them. Do you have any Shake n' Bake in the house? I have an old box and I always just follow the cooking directions on that, without using the actual Shake n' Bake. Works great. As for putting on them, there are about a million possibilities... any spices you like really.

Leave a comment:

• seaweed
    replied
    i feed them raw to my dog if i were to cook them, i would just roast them like ordinary roast chicken. maybe do some marinating or roll in some spices first. you can prob google loads of recipes.

Leave a comment:

• Misabi
    replied
    Brown them off in a pan in the fat of your choice, then add herbs and/or spices and fry on low heat for a minute or to, add water to cover and bring to the boil then simmer for 15 mins or until the chicken is cooked to your liking. Personally I like it falling off the bone.

Leave a comment:

• Seaglassgreen
    replied
    I like to dry them off and rub with a little oil, then salt/pepper/garlic powder. I put mine on a wire rack above a baking sheet, and cook at 425. Skin will get crispy that way

Leave a comment:

• MarielleGO
    replied
    Just ground black pepper and a little salt for seasoning. With ghee or coconut oil in a frying pan. sear the meat on all sides till they are light brown. ad 500ml of water and let it sit on a low fire for at least an hour.
    After that place them in a baking tray, cover them with a little bit of honey and or bbq sauce and your favorite spices, place them in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 170C.

Leave a comment:

• MIstressKiki
    replied
    Beat an egg, put some coconut flour on a plate, add herbs and spices, to taste, to the flour, roll drumsticks in egg, roll to coat in the flour mix, fry for a couple of minutes each side in coconut oil and bake for about 45 minutes - hour depending on the size of the drumsticks, serve hot or cold with veges of your choice. I like to do several of these so I have some for a hot meal and then for a couple of packed lunches too.

It sounds like you might want to invest in a couple of recipe books/look some recipes up on the 'net. That way, until you get used to cooking meat/animal products in general you won't be quite so stumped.

Leave a comment:

• ryanmercer
    replied
    There are tons of ways. Fry them in a healthier oil, bake them dry, bake them wet, bake them juicy, bake them crispy, broil them, boil them (kinda bland but I know some people that actually like boiled chicken... whatever floats your boat I guess).

Leave a comment:

• oceangrl
    replied
    Or..just salt and pepper and toss them in a baking dish and cook uncovered for about 45 minutes if you want crispy skin. Easy and yummy!!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Anthony
    replied
    I just season with hot sauce and spices, add some coconut oil, wrap in foil and bake for...I dunno, an hour or so on like 400. Works fine.

Sent via lightsaber

Leave a comment:

Working...
X