Ad Widget

Collapse

Primal bedroom of sushi rice ? (Rice not cauliflower)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal bedroom of sushi rice ? (Rice not cauliflower)

I love making my own rolls at home .
    I pick out the sashimi I want then get my sushi rice aswell , few veggies in there n build My rolls .

But I would like to know how I can make my sushi rice at home as clean as possible ?
    Obviously the rice in my local shop & restaurants I go to use sugar in there seasoning & vinegar for the rice.

But If I was to cook at home I could substitute with stevia or something??

Does anyone know or have suggestions ?
    Ps : I don't not want cauliflower rice !

From London England UK

Sorry title should be version LMAO

From London England UK

Comment

I use rice vinegar for the rice & have never added any sugar/sweetner,, dont think you need to (in fact dident know they add sugar to sushi?)

but if you wanted the rice sweeter.. use coconut water to cook it in instead of water. NOM NOM NOM!
      Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Hmm excellent idea with coconut water .
        Yes , sushi rice is sweetened with sugar , that's why it takes so good also , some sushi vinegar is made from brown rice !
        Would this be a NO NO being brown rice or isit ok as it's fermented being a vinegar?

From London England UK

Comment

Hey there,

I would think you should not care at all. Unless you make them everyday (must be some expense), just enjoy with the usual ingredients. I mean, they don't bathe in sugar I suppose and the vinegar is mostly acetic acid dissolved in water, isn't it ?

Comment

Yeah I suppose .
            I'm not stressing over it and not particular bothered, it's not even expensive but would like to try to do it for myself for once and see the difference .

From London England UK

Comment

I also prefer no sweetener. Flavor-wise you could try something closer to a modified gimbap recipe. Toasted sesame oil works in very tiny amounts and goes well with eggs, carrots, and greens.
              37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Comment

I use mashed avocado instead of rice. It makes for a spicy roll (since I grate some ginger with the avocado) but I do enjoy it much . .

Comment

Crazy. I never use sugar when making sushi rice. Is that an american thing, putting sugar into foods that don't need it?
                  Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
                  5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
                  Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
                  TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
                  bloodorchid is always right

Comment

Sushi rice is traditionally seasoned with a mixture of rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. It shouldn't be sweet. If you want to leave out the seasoning, then it's not sushi, it would be onigiri. Make sure you use short-grain Japanese type rice, or it won't stick together properly.

Comment

Originally posted by eKatherine View Post
                      Sushi rice is traditionally seasoned with a mixture of rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. It shouldn't be sweet. If you want to leave out the seasoning, then it's not sushi, it would be onigiri. Make sure you use short-grain Japanese type rice, or it won't stick together properly.
                      Do you know of the quantities they typically use?

I take it I could substitute with stevia or could even use coconut water in rice cooker as someone mentioned here !

From London England UK

Comment

Here's a recipe:

Minados Perfect Sushi Rice Recipe - Low-cholesterol.Food.com

Comment

I use omelette instead of rice.

Omelette, then avocado, cucumber and then chicken/prawn.

Yum
                          "I reserve the right to say stupid things"

Comment

I didn't know that sugar was used in sushi?!?! When I have made it at home I typically mix a little unseasoned rice vinegar with toasted sesame oil and then brush it onto the sushi rice (once on seaweed). I think it tastes great & so does the hubby. As for fillings, I have used many things - salmon, crab, avocado, carrots, cucumber, etc, etc. Rolling the sushi inside-out & then rolling in sesame seeds is always great, too.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerfaced View Post
                              I use omelette instead of rice.

Omelette, then avocado, cucumber and then chicken/prawn.

Yum
                              That as well

Comment

Working...
                              X