No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a GOOD Primal/Paleo recipe book

Hi all

My main question: What is a good primal/paleo recipe book (or other resource), where the recipes actually taste delicious, and are easy to prepare? (Especially looking for marinades and rubs).

I've been searching for endless hours and many months, for a GOOD primal/paleo recipe book, with no luck. Heck, even a good generic*recipe book is hard to find.

I don't want any complicated recipes, just simple stuff. I wanted to start out with simple rubs and marinades that taste great.

But I'm having a hard time finding anything good!

I've bought DOZENS of books on Amazon, all with dozens or even hundreds of excellent 4.5-5-star overall ratings, and all their recipes SUCK!*

I've got a few generic barbecue recipe books, but all their recipes call for using 1/2 to 1 cub of brown sugar!

If you are having the same problem - you think EVERY free recipe with good ratings on the internet is RUBBISH, and all of those Amazon books with 5 star ratings are rubbish, did you find a solution in the end?

If so, I really need to hear it, I really need your help.

I've had enough of spending so many hours of my day looking for good recipes with no success.

Please help *me and I will be eternally grateful.

OK, so here's one solution I've found.

From all the research I've done on recipes, I've so far found ONE recipe book whose food I like: Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon. Not exactly a Paleo recipe book, but hey, the curries in this book taste great!

The trouble with curries is you have to have them with either rice or naan, both are grain-based foods.

So what I'll try is using the curry sauce like a marinade, then grilling the meat.

The tandoori recipe in that book is terrible by the way, so I won't be using that.

Comment

I honestly haven't purchased any Paleo/Primal Cookbooks. What I've been doing is going on to Youtube and searching out body building recipes. It's pretty easy to sub their "carbs" for something a bit healthier.

BBQ Recipes (I'm learning) can be sweetened with natural fruits and/or honey instead of sugar. I'm still experimenting with this, but the sweet & spicy sauce I used on some chicken yesterday was fabulous (imo) and really did remind me of a decent BBQ sauce. I think I'll be making extra just to keep on hand!

I'm a fairly simple person, with very basic simple tastes. Exotic recipes don't really tempt me much. Probably because I've never tried them, or they seem over-complicated to make easily. Learning to "primalize" regular recipes is a challenge!
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Journal

Start Date 07/01/14
      Start Weight 238.0
      Current Date 09/12/14
      Current Weight 222.2

Current LOSS 15.8#

Comment

*scratches head* I've bought practically every paleo recipe book there is and I like most of them... I guess I'm easy to please? XD
        Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Comment

For what it's worth, you do not have to have curry with rice or naan. We eat lots of curries and don't use either. I'd be curious to know what "sucks" about the recipes you've made. As far as marinades and rubs, there are plenty of recipes available online that aren't necessarily labeled as primal, but are perfectly primal in their ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by TQD View Post
            For what it's worth, you do not have to have curry with rice or naan. We eat lots of curries and don't use either. I'd be curious to know what "sucks" about the recipes you've made. As far as marinades and rubs, there are plenty of recipes available online that aren't necessarily labeled as primal, but are perfectly primal in their ingredients.
            Basically you make something that requires over a dozen ingredients. You spend over an hour getting and preparing all the ingredients. You put it all together and cook it. You do a split-test with another batch that just uses salt and pepper, and most of the time the salt and pepper version tastes better. Sometimes the 12+ ingredient version tastes a fraction of a bit better, but definitely not worth all the effort.

I've been looking for a good adana kebab recipe. All of the recipes online look the same, and none tastes anywhere near as good as some of the adana kebabs I've had at some restaurants (I say "some" restaurants, in the vast majority of restaurants they are equally crap). I have started to learn that rather than all these fancy ingredients that the recipes online and in books will have you gather, the taste of the dish is decided more by the source of the meat, how you prepare the meat (dice it into tiny pieces using a sharp knife, rather than getting ground meat), and how you cook it (using the right type of coal, with the right type of wood to add flavor).

It took me AGES to work all that out, it was never mentioned in the dozens of different Turkish recipe books or online recipes I read through and tried. The good restaurants obviously have their own closely guarded secrets, and everyone online seems to be giving 5-star ratings to sub-standard food.

Comment

Interesting. I hadn't heard of adana kebab so I went searching. Good old "love to hate it" Wikipedia had info on the limited ingredients of traditional adana kebab, as well as the importance of local "foraged" lamb and the appropriate cooking charcoal.

You might like this recipe that I love for chuck steak...super simple, relatively few ingredients. Skip the tortillas.

Agujas (Grilled Chuck Steaks)

Comment

As was mentioned earlier curry is good. I make cali rice or use the food processor on mixed veggis and then put that in the curry to simmer for a while.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/everyday-chicken-curry/

http://www.primalblueprint.com/categ..._ad_seen_books

You'll start to collect spices as you go on and you will be modifying recipes and the tedium, or at least much of it, will greatly diminish. Best wyshes.
                Last edited by Terry H; 08-03-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe TQD. Looks delicious. Not sure where to get chuck eye steak from, but I'll see if I can substitute with something else.

Terry. Thanks for the reminder re cauliflower rice. Finding paleo rice and chapati substitutes is a good way forward for me, since I know how to cook some delicious curries.

That MDA chicken curry link you sent me... add it all in together and bring to the boil? that is NOT how you cook curry. Get a copy of Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon, get started from that, then talk to some Indian restaurant chefs and see how you can make things even better.

Comment

Hi

you better Try this cookbook more than 370 paleo recipes

the instructions are very simple , Try it

Paleo Recipe Book | Over 350 easy Paleo recipes

Comment

Originally posted by sammiefields2512 View Post
                      Thanks for the recipe TQD. Looks delicious. Not sure where to get chuck eye steak from, but I'll see if I can substitute with something else.

Terry. Thanks for the reminder re cauliflower rice. Finding paleo rice and chapati substitutes is a good way forward for me, since I know how to cook some delicious curries.

That MDA chicken curry link you sent me... add it all in together and bring to the boil? that is NOT how you cook curry. Get a copy of Curry Secret by Kris Dhillon, get started from that, then talk to some Indian restaurant chefs and see how you can make things even better.

My main question: What is a good primal/paleo recipe book (or other resource), where the recipes actually taste delicious, and are easy to prepare? (Especially looking for marinades and rubs).
                      Last edited by Terry H; 08-14-2014, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X