X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDF
    started a topic Primal PCOS'ers?

Primal PCOS'ers?

Just curious if there are any PCOS'ers having success with PB and what your success has been(weight loss, reduced symptoms, etc)

Do you eat dairy at all?
    Do you ever fast?

• SoupeDuJour
    replied
    I know this thread is years old, but I have PCOS with confirmed cysts (string of pearls) on the ovaries. I'm about 45lbs overweight and have been struggling with it since college. I didn't get diagnosed with PCOS until 2013, but it's been a battle for me to stay focused on being primal. Will keep trying though, i'm back on again, day 8, feeling pretty good. Will see how quickly I lose the weight, and if it's slowing I might eliminate dairy.

We've been trying to get pregnant for a year now, and my doctor recommends low carbing to treat the symptoms of PCOS, so i'm hoping for a double whammy of losing the weight and getting pregnant.

Any updates from everyone on your progress? I read a testimonial on PB about kicking PCOS in the butt with primal eating; has anyone else experienced that?

Leave a comment:

• girlhk
    replied
    Originally posted by Aingealag View Post
    I just wondered by what process you were diagnosed with PCOS?
    When the doctor suspected PCOS, they did an ultrasound early in the cycle, saw many small follicles that didn't mature. All hormones within normal range.

Leave a comment:

• Momto3
    replied
    When I went primal 3 years ago, I was 5'3" and 168lbs. About 1 month postpartum. It was a slow loss. I think about 20 the first year and then the next 10 the 2nd year. I followed the Primal Blueprint. My carbs were from non starchy veggies and dark chocolate and almond flour treats/muffins.

I then started adding back sweet potatoes and rice. I ended up stalling. Then I've went through digestive healing so the stall continued. I am now getting back to the good old recommendations from Mark. For myself, my type of PCOS I seem to do better with low carb.

Leave a comment:

• LisaLS
    replied
    Have to ask. Those of you that needed/wanted to lose weight. What was/is your diet like?
    And how quickly did you actually lose weight?
    I haven't started exercising yet, but it feels like I should've at least lost something by now instead of losing and then regaining the same water weight over and over again.

Leave a comment:

• WaylandC
    replied
    @fiercehunter: Primal/Paleo by itself is NOT high in PUFAs seeing as how fat from animals is generally sat. fat. O3 and O6 being essential fatty acids that the body can't make on its own are necessary from diet. Adding a lot of extra oils to your diet would increase the PUFAs though and if your ratio way way off it could have been creating an environment rife with inflammation. If you were also consuming a fair amount of fruit with that way of eating it could have created a bigger problem with weight control.

If the Ray Peat W.O.E. works for you, great, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• fiercehunter
    replied
    Primal/paleo is probably what CAUSED my PCOS. Sugar and grains aren't the problem, PUFAs are. A chronic low-sugar diet did NOTHING for me in the 2000s; now, in my 40s, I'm healthier and look better. Thank you Ray Peat!

Leave a comment:

• Momto3
    replied
    I never had regular periods and spent a number of years on birth control to regulate. Diagnosed and treated for endometriosis. Gained about 30lbs and that's when I started getting hormonal cystic acne, a bit of extra hair growth, and no ovulation, no periods. I basically diagnosed myself. Was taking clomid to get pregnant and asked the dr if I could try Metformin also. I ovulated! I wasn't officially diagnosed for a couple more years.
    Primal for three years now. PCOS mostly managed. But recently (I'm 38) there has been a shift. I gained 10lbs in about a month. I'm now on 750mg Metformin. It's been two weeks. My jawline acne is trying to return. I get my hormones tested on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Belinda J
    replied
    I had excess weight, facial hair, heavy & painful periods - those were my worst symptoms.

It wasn't until I did some google searching that I found my answer, before that my Dr had no idea and just put me on the Pill. Even after my diagnosis, his solution was to put me on a different type of Pill.

Leave a comment:

• bloodorchid
    replied
    My T level, slightly elevated fasting blood sugar level, lack of period- those are what convinced the doctor i switched to, turned out she also has it

i also had skin tags, hair loss, facial hair growth, dark patches on my knees and tops of my feet, terrible anxiety and depression etc etc

pcos symptoms rum the gamut from mild to severe and my symptoms wont be your symptoms. i cant remember if i ever actually had cysts in my ovaries

Leave a comment:

• Aingealag
    replied
    Hello ladies,

I just wondered by what process you were diagnosed with PCOS?
    I got my AMH tested and the resulting report said that my AMH level was 40 and therefore I "probably have PCOS". But I had an ultrasound that came up normal. I do have hormonal acne (and what a bummer that is btw!), but I am not overweight. Btw, I am 32 and besides auto-immune thyroiditis I feel pretty healthy. This is confusing...

Leave a comment:

• Belinda J
    replied
    Hi everyone, I am totally new to Paleo and completely new to the forums as well.

I was dx with PCOS 10 years ago and with Endometriosis 7 years ago. Have been battling excess weight since puberty. Have suffered at least 4 miscarriages (I am divorced now so TTC isn't something I am concerned with for the moment, but getting myself ready for the future possibility of children is definitely important).

Umm... what else do I tell you about myself in a nutshell?

I live in Sydney, Australia and I am 38 years old.

I just hope I can learn alot from the forums and make a really positive impact on my health. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Belinda

Leave a comment:

• vh67
    replied
    I am glad that you are feeling so much better! I am checking out Dr. Kalish now. I will have some extra time to read next week. PCOS is so tough because it is different from woman to woman but I think diet is so important. My GI doc said that much of what they know about digestion comes from studying men so it does not take into consideration the difference in the hormones between men and women.

Leave a comment:

• Momto3
    replied
    I hope your surgery goes well.

I played around with some rice and sweet potato but I think I feel best when I stay below 75.

I listened to a great podcast from Underground Wellness interviewing Dr Daniel Kalish. In the podcast he said to email his office for a free copy of his books. I got them today. In the podcast it was like he was reading my medical history. I'm finally connecting the dots, not just treating one symptom after another.

I am just amazed how gluten intolerance/ leaky gut affects cortisol which then affects female hormone balance. I can see how all the years of what I thought was IBS led me down the road to endometriosis, PCOS, hyperplasia, infertility etc etc. it has been an amazing three year journey to undo and heal from the damage. I have hope and I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life.

Leave a comment:

• vh67
    replied
    Originally posted by Momto3 View Post
    If you want, under the Forum General Settings you can Edit your Ignore List and enter in Grizz and then at least you don't have see what he posts.
    Thanks for that. These posts are getting old. As we all know, there is no cure for PCOS. Excessive amounts of iodine can be harmful. For me, eating low carb has done the most for controlling my PCOS. I increased my sugar/carbs for a while and now I have a cyst on each ovary. I am having them removed on Monday and I am back to roughly 50 carbs a day.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X