X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad lipids after doing everything right

Guido and I both recently mentioned our apparently bad lipid panels:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-Total-HDL-EEK

I wanted to follow up on this as I just heard back from Dr. Davis of Heart Scan Blog:

[blockquote]

Several thoughts:

1) You cannot truly know your LDL until it's been measured, not calculated, especially when triglycerides are so far "off." Measured LDL comes as NMR LDL particle number, an Apoprotein B, or (least helpful) a measured LDL.

2) Lp(a) could be part of the picture. You can only tell by measuring.

3) You almost certainly have a genetic problem, at least heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia. While I am NOT an advocate of "statins for the masses" and avoid their use whenever possible, this is an instance in which they should be considered.

4) Small LDL should be assessed to better gauge atherogenicity (plaque-causing potential).

5) Forget the nonsense about the sterols. Two studies now suggest that, once they reach the bloodstream, they may cause heart disease.

6) If you haven't already done so, fish oil needs to be a part of your program to gain better control over triglycerides.

7) Know your postprandial glucoses, especially in view of your triglycerides.

[/blockquote]

Since my blood glucose levels after eating seem fine, I'm going to add fish oil and try to save up this year for an NMR, keeping statins as a last resort.

A previous post by Dr. Davis on whether sterols cause heart disease:

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...use-heart.html

Comment

Way to do your research! I love the Heart Scan blog.

Keep us posted on how fish oils affect ya.

Comment

Great job taking control of your own health! It makes me angry and sad at the same time how many physicians know so little about lipid tests.

Anybody that gets a test done should ask the doc about the difference between small and large particle LDL, what constitutes good/bad levels of each, and how these levels will be reported in the test results. If you get a blank stare, thank them for their time and go find another doc.

I made the mistake of not being specific enough with my doc, then trusted him when he said with 100% confidence, "Don't worry, everything you're looking for will be in the results". Got the results, didn't see what I was looking for. Asked him why. Received blank stare in return. Informed him why the results he just handed me tell me almost nothing. Received another blank stare.

Comment

Following up yet again! First, my dad got another cholesterol panel back. Since the previous one a year ago after he had stents put in, he's been eating more like me -- basically more fat and meat, less sugar and starch -- and not taking the statins they wanted to put him on. Result? Tiny increase in HDL, a little increase in LDL...and a drop in trigs of almost 100, to the point where now he's three points under the government recommended maximum! Compared to him, I should be ready to keel over...but I just remind myself of my friend, who has trigs of over THREE THOUSAND and is still walking around

So, Dr. BG of Animal Pharm got back to me as well on both my results (described above in previous posts) and Dr. Davis's interpretations. Specifically, she stated:

"the LDL goal <= 60 is cr*p... don&#39;t believe it. No one at TYP gets regression (neglible individuals) and it is precisely because LDL is < 60. All of us in the paleoblogsphere who eat saturated fat (Davis is &#39;low sat fat&#39; 20 grams max daily) -- we believe higher the LDL the longer the longevity. STudies and research back this up. See O Primitivo&#39;s blog for the research."

She also speculated as to my genetics:

"Apo E4 genotypes have LDL > 150-200s. 30% of northern European descent and American Indian descent individuals are apo E4 or some hybrid. These individuals are of slightly higher heart disease risk. ApoE4 do not detox at all. Heavy metals and other toxins accumulate rapidly and easily. I hypothesize this is from adaptations away from shore-side living -- hence less marine minerals (zinc, mag, selenium for our zillions of enzymes and vitamins, glutathione, thyroid hormones, etc) and other minimal marine-related anti-oxidants and nutrients.

"Plant sterols from butter oil and low glycemic index plants (that you are not allergic to) and grass-raised/pastured animal fat lower Trigs and lower the small dense LDL that may affect these individuals.

"High LDL and/or Apo E4 is NOT a &#39;genetic problem.&#39;

"You guys are the &#39;true&#39; warriors of the earth... You can survive anywhere and under any circumstatnces. No food, no water, no minerals, no antioxidants. But there is a price.

"The LDL of apo E4 are higher in number because LDL are the sentinel/soldiers of the immune system -- plus they carry the MUNITIONS (they transport coenzyme Q10, tocopherols/vitamin E, carotenoids -- the bright red/orange of lobster krill carrots and butter, etc) to the peripheral tissues to the macrophages/white blood cells to destroy microbes and to heal infections and to heal wounds.

"Overactive LDL or a disturbed immune system are not good -- keep your immunity strong."

Comment

Working...
          X