X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flax, hemp, other alternative "flours"

Hey.

just wondering, besides almond and coconut flour,

are flax meal, and hemp or chia meals ok to use as a substitute "flour" source in baking?

and also, does anyone else know other non grain sources to make, say almond butter bars that are not only made from almond butter, ya know, w/ some oomph, padding?

thanks,

Thanks for asking this question. I would like to know about flax meal as well.

Comment

Me too!!!

Comment

When polyunsaturated fatty acids are heated they become oxidized and when ingested cause huge inflammation and free radical damage. I would not cook with olive oil and I wouldn't roast nuts. I certainly wouldn't use flax or hemp in cooking but I do eat them raw and properly prepared.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

ok. so not cooked.

cool,

so if i were to make bars, i could not cook them, just fridge/freeze them, to keep them raw.

awesome. thanks for answering that!!

i am new to "raw" diet rules. i mean, i get it, duh, but not the small details, and why...so on and so forth.

thanks again

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that the oil in flaxseeds is quite stable when they are used in baking. I guarantee how true that is, but do a bit more research before dismissing them entirely. I make flaxseed mug muffins to go with my eggs and bacon most mornings.

My website: http://www.shoppinganywhere.net/

Comment

uhhmm.... i dunno about flax but i doubt Grok used flax much... i would say it's part of the 20% and maybe you should opt for coconut flour?

Get on my Level
              http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

now they say almond flour is all that!!!

i use it, it is yummy.

my bars now consist of pistachio butter, protein powder, hemp powder, cocoa powder, a few pumpkin seeds, coconut, a tad bit of water, some cinamon (dont know if that is wrong or whatever , but seriously dont care)

and set them out in a pan, and freeze. yummy all mashed w/ bananas. good meals rather than the regular meat and salad deal.

lots of fruit, which by the way, are ANY fruits OFF LIMITS?????

Comment

Flax has some issues with phytoestrogens, I beleive. I'm thininking that Chia is better. I'm not sure about coconut flour. I've got some that I made myself as a by product of making my own coconut milk. I do know that sometimes coconut doesn't digest well. I used to work in surgery and we had to remove one foot of a patients colon one time because she had a diverticulum (a common littel pocket in intestine, probably from eating grains) and the coconut got stuck in the little pocket and blocked off her colon.

Dr. Kurt Harris did an entery in his blog (PaNu) called "Smoking Candy Cigaretts". It's about our attempts to duplicate harmful neolithic foods. It makes an interesting read....

Comment

Working...
                  X