Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying beef compromise question

I was in whole foods the other day and I realized that I cant afford 100% grass fed beef. The butcher told me that the other beef that they sell in hormone and antibiotic free. He said they are free range but they are also feed potatoes and corn. That sounds like a reasonable compromise right?

*nods*

Comment

It depends on where you live. In Canada we use 3 natural hormones and the amount in beef would be many thousands of times lower than our daily hormone production. Also, antibiotic residues are not found in beef and the possibility of antibiotic-resistant strains can be counteracted by many things like probiotics, garlic, oregano, and cooking the darn things. In America...not so much.

edit: oh okay, california. Yeah that would be preferred. A good fish oil supplement and perhaps a non-synthetic CLA one could almost simulate the same thing as grass-fed. It's not as if even grain-fed beef has much AA though.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

From what I understand the meat from Whole Foods is realiable as far as quality right?

Comment

Thanks for the nod northern monkey. You can nod at me anytime you want ;-)

Comment

*nods*

*smiles*

Comment

http://www.eatwild.com/products/index.html

Take a roadtrip and buy bulk. Real cows eating real grass is a thing of beauty.

...ad will cost less the WholeFood$

Comment

If bulk buying from a farm isn't an option for you due to having to lay out that much money at once, or if you don't have freezer space, then buy the best meat you can afford (like at WF) and take Omega 3 supplements.

Not everyone can afford to buy in bulk, or afford grass fed meat all the time. If you can, then go for it. But trying to go Primal and getting frustrated over the prices of everything is not worth stressing over. Just do the best you can.

Comment

I agree with Suzan, the biggest win is getting rid of the sugars,processed food, and grains. Once you have that down, than buy the best meat you can. Publix carries a greenwise brand now that is at least antibiotic and hormone free. not much more than standard. From other blogs I belong to, there are people that eat standard meats and getting just as good results in their blood work. If you can great, if you can even work in weeks worth even better. its a journey..

Comment

i cant afford grassfed BUT i have a deep freezer... i eat store bought USDA approved(if that means anything) from the local butcher... same butcher will NOT provide me with pork belly... "there's no sale in it" FREAKING CRAP. you'd think Mississippi you think ya know people having access to something besides McD's, walmart, and fried candy bars... no wonder we're #1 for obesity...

sorry rant end.

Get on my Level
                    http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Going to a farmers market outside the city......

I found that I can buy grass fed beef for about the same price as hormone store bought.

Comment

@MalPaz

You can't get pork belly in Missippi? I believe that's one of the signs of the apocalypse. :-)

Your goals, minus your doubts, equals your reality.
                        - Ralph Marston

Comment

I just found pork belly in chinatown. Not sure I trust it, but there it was. (I'm sure I could find it in a spanish meat market too, but it'd be about the same quality.)

EDIT: If I didn't have access to grassfed beef, or decided that I didn't want to spend the money on it, I'd look for hormone, and antibiotic free meats IF they were cheaper. Organ meats are also less expenisive so I've been buying some of those grass fed, and learning how to cook them, and plan on incorporating them more, and more into my weekly menu. I also regularly buy cheaper cuts like Chuck Roast of grass fed- I am making a grass fed Pot Roast in my crock pot out of Chuck Roast right now- Lucky me my farmer at the farmer's market some times has specials too that I try to take advantage of.

Hope that's some useful info too.

Comment

I can't do grass fed yet, & I seem to be doing okay. Like others have said, just do what you can!

And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                            Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

I know that this is going to sound strange....But if you really are on a budget...

US Wellness meats sells a GRASS FINISHED ground beef mix that they must label as pet food, as it is under 70% lean. (Any ground beef that is under 70% lean is supposedly unfit for human consumption) It is ground beef, beef liver, and beef heart. It is only $3.59 a pound. I have not tried it. The reason why I know that it is the EXACT SAME grass fed ground beef as their others, just fattier, is that I e-mailed them and asked them about it. I haven't tried it, but I was seriously thinking about making a meatloaf with it if our budget takes another hit.

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Categories.bok?category=Pet+Food

I really don't see why any human wouldn't want to eat this, or maybe I am crazy? Of course, you still have to order $75 worth of product with them, but you get a discount for 8 or more packages on top of that low price.

Comment

Working...
                              X