No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imaginative Ancestral cookbooks

Hey, all!

I am looking for a few new cookbooks. I especially want something imaginative, aimed at the experienced cook in need of inspiration. I love to cook, and we have been primal for the better part of five years - but sometimes I just want something different, know what I mean?

There are dozens of books on the market now and many of them seem like they would probably fit the bill - but I can't afford *all* of them! Can you help me choose?

Specifics:
    * aimed at the experienced cook
    * imaginative - no need for the basics

Thanks for the help!

Misti
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

OK, 71 views and no opinions. I will hold my nose and jump it un-advised.

I have decided on Everyday Paleo Around the World: Italy. I would still like to hear what other folks like, though.
    Misti

Comment

I really love Ancestral Table. It's PHD, paleo, and primal friendly, and the recipes are excellent. Really classic, very doable, simple, but very delicious. It's even broken me of a lifetime hatred of mayonnaise including three failed attempts at homemade stuff.

Originally posted by RittenRemedy
      Last edited by RittenRemedy; 05-04-2014, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Misti View Post
        Specifics:
        * aimed at the experienced cook
        * imaginative - no need for the basics
        You don't need a Paleo or Primal book if you are experienced. You can take any cookbook and alter to suit your needs. Most of the Paleo/Primal books are just repetitive. I picked up a copy of Bruce Aidells Meat cookbook, first edition brand new for $4 and it is a great book. Better value in old books IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by eats.meats.west View Post
          You don't need a Paleo or Primal book if you are experienced. You can take any cookbook and alter to suit your needs. Most of the Paleo/Primal books are just repetitive. I picked up a copy of Bruce Aidells Meat cookbook, first edition brand new for $4 and it is a great book. Better value in old books IMO.
          That's my favorite non ancestral (if you could ever call a book about meat "non ancestral!" Actually, scratch that) cookbook after ancestral table. If it weren't for AT just being so well done as a springboard for "this is how to take that fabulous wheat filled recipe over there and make it better" without just subbing other shady ingredients, TGMC would be my favorite; every recipe I've tried I've made more than once.

Comment

Thank you, Ritten! I had somehow managed to miss Ancestral Table, but it is going on my list now!

Eats, you are right 90% of the time - but there are days when I want an idea that is new and yet doesn't require me to fight the recipe. Yes, I can change almost any recipe - but some days, I'm lazy.

I find several books that could be what you mean by "Bruce Aidells Meat cookbook". Do you mean the 2001 "Complete Meat Cookbook"?
            Last edited by Misti; 05-05-2014, 02:06 PM.
            Misti

Comment

Thank you! It is now in my cart!
              Misti

Comment

It´s not ancesteral or even a cookbook really, but have you checked out The Flavor Bible. Just lists of foods that pair well with other foods. So say you´ve got a lot of carrots and want some ideas. You look up carrot and voila, there´s tons of spices, other veggies, etc that would combine well.

Not so good for the novice cook who wouldn´t know what to do with those ingredients. But for the experienced cook looking for inspiration it´s perfect. And as ancesteral as you want it to be.

Comment

I picked up a copy of Bruce Aidells Meat cookbook, first edition brand new for $4 and it is a great book.

Comment

Working...
                  X